Wild Kingdom Train 2019 Update
(03-14-2019, 03:23 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: It feels to me like Lagoon is moving away from the do a thing per year mindset to a do a thing over a few years mindset. I think 2017 was the first part of a multi-year project to overhaul to the entire patio gardens building and surrounding area. I think if the inside of Dracula's was getting re-imagined right now we'd have heard about it or at least had hints. It's possible that Dracula's could just not open, or close early this year or next year so they have more time to work on it.

I'm wondering if the improvements to the WK train might also be the first part of a multi-year project.
I think your right, wouldn't be surprised if it didn't open so they could work on it or close end of July or so.
(03-14-2019, 03:23 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: It feels to me like Lagoon is moving away from the do a thing per year mindset to a do a thing over a few years mindset. I think 2017 was the first part of a multi-year project to overhaul to the entire patio gardens building and surrounding area. I think if the inside of Dracula's was getting re-imagined right now we'd have heard about it or at least had hints. It's possible that Dracula's could just not open, or close early this year or next year so they have more time to work on it.

I'm wondering if the improvements to the WK train might also be the first part of a multi-year project.
2002-2003 Off Season, all Ties were replaced on the trestle from the tunnel to the east side straightaway and a grade installed on the trestle. The East straightaway was completely rebuilt from the roadbed up and raised about 10" to provide better drainage for the all new ties, all new rail, and new ballast.

The 2003-2004 Off Season, the rest of the Roadbed from Peccary Hill to past the Emu Enclosure was rebuilt in the same way, with better roadbed, ties, rail, and ballast.

The Grade up to the Tunnel has needed to be eliminated since the ride was built, as it has always been problematic. It was less so when the Grade Crossings were protected by automatic air gates, thus allowing for slightly higher speeds through the grade crossings and on the Trestle. The side track always had a down grade, and the climb out of the side track and subsequent grade could also be problematic.

I would love to see the Grade Crossing again protected by air gates, either automatic or manually operated. It was much easier for an attendant to stand in the middle of the grade crossing and have both hands out to stop people, and have the gates close and whack the idiots not off the crossing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(03-14-2019, 09:59 AM)linear-induction Wrote: I would love to see the Grade Crossing again protected by air gates, either automatic or manually operated. It was much easier for an attendant to stand in the middle of the grade crossing and have both hands out to stop people, and have the gates close and whack the idiots not off the crossing.

Why were the air gates eliminated in the first place? It seems extremely hokey to have attendants rush up to the crossing and chain it off when there used to be very nice automated gates.

-Z
(03-14-2019, 12:04 PM)Z Wrote: Why were the air gates eliminated in the first place? It seems extremely hokey to have attendants rush up to the crossing and chain it off when there used to be very nice automated gates.

-Z

Because people are DUMB! How many people go around the gates for Tracks and/or Frontrunner?
(03-14-2019, 12:04 PM)Z Wrote: Why were the air gates eliminated in the first place? It seems extremely hokey to have attendants rush up to the crossing and chain it off when there used to be very nice automated gates.

-Z
There was always an attendant at the grade crossing...it was just more stand back or you will regret it. lol Also, little kids were not able to run under the gates.

The story I have always been told was because they closed on Merriweather while she was going through the crossing in 1993 or 1994. She wore a scar on her pilot (cow catcher) deck until she was repainted in 2004/2005 and it was repaired. These were the same air gates from PTC that Lagoon installed on Screamer and that are still on Tidal Wave. Back in 2002 or 2003, the old crossing gates from the water skeeters were in the PV Boneyard that has since been cleaned up. The old entrance from the original paddle boats and later used for Tidal Wave was back there too.

(03-14-2019, 12:19 PM)DeLorean Wrote: Because people are DUMB! How many people go around the gates for Tracks and/or Frontrunner?
These were not crossing arms, they were air gates like used on Tidal Wave and Screamer.

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Why are you people talking about train stuff on the Dracula's Castle thread?
(03-14-2019, 06:46 PM)DaSpanishPotato Wrote: Why are you people talking about train stuff on the Dracula's Castle thread?

I'm thinking u make a valid point.   Lol. Probably same reason we were talking about food on primordial.
(03-14-2019, 06:46 PM)DaSpanishPotato Wrote: Why are you people talking about train stuff on the Dracula's Castle thread?

We should probably refocus the discussion to tacos... or perhaps foodborne illness associated with preparing food in your bathtub.
Banana
(03-14-2019, 12:25 PM)linearinduction Wrote: There was always an attendant at the grade crossing...it was just more stand back or you will regret it. lol Also, little kids were not able to run under the gates.

The story I have always been told was because they closed on Merriweather while she was going through the crossing in 1993 or 1994. She wore a scar on her pilot (cow catcher) deck until she was repainted in 2004/2005 and it was repaired. These were the same air gates from PTC that Lagoon installed on Screamer and that are still on Tidal Wave. Back in 2002 or 2003, the old crossing gates from the water skeeters were in the PV Boneyard that has since been cleaned up. The old entrance from the original paddle boats and later used for Tidal Wave was back there too.

These were not crossing arms, they were air gates like used on Tidal Wave and Screamer.

Oh yea... they used to slide vs going down right?
(03-14-2019, 06:54 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: We should probably refocus the discussion to tacos... or perhaps foodborne illness associated with preparing food in your bathtub.
From that inspection report from July 2018, you would have been better with food prepared in a bathtub.
(03-14-2019, 07:34 PM)DeLorean Wrote: Oh yea... they used to slide vs going down right?
They did not slide. They work exactly the same as the air gates on Tidal Wave.