Lagoon shuttle is now a trolley
(12-09-2018, 11:50 PM)linearinduction Wrote: There's a reason why the Roosevelt Island Tramway in New York is the only Transit Tramway in the Country (since 1976). A Doppelmayer Cableliner or Monorail have built in Evacuation Platforms and Catwalks. An aerial evacuation that would shut down a major interstate doesn't sound so logical.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Hopefully they wouldn't ever have to evacuate it besides doing drills, which could be done in other areas or during low-traffic times. There was a transit tram built in Portland in 2016 and this idea isn't all that different from what Disney World is doing. There's probably a reason Disney chose the gondolas over more monorail. I'd love to see a monorail or Cableliner connecting Frontrunner to Lagoon, it just seems like the aerial tram thing is more realistically plausible with all that stuff in the way.
I like dark rides

I don't think station park would be too excited for their parking lot to be turned into the Lagoon lot west.
(Yesterday, 01:16 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: Hopefully they wouldn't ever have to evacuate it besides doing drills, which could be done in other areas or during low-traffic times. There was a transit tram built in Portland in 2016 and this idea isn't all that different from what Disney World is doing. There's probably a reason Disney chose the gondolas over more monorail. I'd love to see a monorail or Cableliner connecting Frontrunner to Lagoon, it just seems like the aerial tram thing is more realistically plausible with all that stuff in the way.
I had completely forgotten about The Portland Aerial Tramway, which opened in 2006, connecting the South Waterfront Area and Main OHSU Campus, that cost a whopping $57 Million Dollars. The maintenance costs have also been double what was projected.

The Roosevelt Island Tramway has had to be evacuated several times (not including the King Kong incidents, of course), and there's now Emergency Provisions on board each Tram. There was a 2006 incident that stranded a total of 67 riders on both tram cars over the East River for nearly 12 hours.

Aerial Tramways and Gondolas are not an ideal solution for Public Transit due to Inclement Weather Factors, such as Wind, that Fixed Guideway Systems don't have to contend with. Capacity is another issue.

Roosevelt Island Tramway -
Cost: 25 Million Dollars (2010 Refurbishment, including new drive system and Gondolas)
Gondolas: 2
Capacity: 125 per Gondola
Max Speed: 17.9 mph
Length: 3,100 feet
Max Wind: 50mph
Other: Must Close in Lightning and Requires Operator in Gondola

Portland Aerial Tramway -
Cost: $57 Million Dollars
Gondolas: 2
Capacity: 78 per Gondola
Max Speed: 22mph
Length: 3,300 feet
Max Wind: 50mph (sustained)
Other: Must Close in Lightning and Requires Operator in Gondola

On the other hand, a Doppelmayr Cable Liner has a higher capacity, higher speed, fully automated, can operate in higher wind speeds, and cost less. Seems like a no brainier, but why would Lagoon spend money on something that will hurt their business?

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(12-09-2018, 11:40 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: There is a good chunk of land near the Station Park Chic Fil a that could house the station on that side. Where would you have the station on the Lagoon side reside?

Station Park has signed an agreement with UTA to build a parking garage in place of the existing UTA parking lot in exchange for development rights for UTA owned property. I don't know the specifics of the exchange, but I believe that the open land is earmarked for either the commercial development or for the parking garage, making all land in the area spoken for.

There was discussion of a pedestrian tunnel from the train station across to Lagoon's neck of the woods. It was dropped due to cost and now pedestrian access will be above ground in a separate run from the roadway, but will drop people off on the wrong side of the interchange. It is intended to service people in the Farmington Crossing complex rather than serve people headed to Lagoon. Had they built the tunnel, it could have been oversized to allow tramway access instead. The cost would have been somewhere in the $15-25M neighborhood though.

The buses are running and look nice, but I have yet to see even one person riding. It seems like a waste of money to run such a frequent schedule when Lagoon is closed.

-Z
(Yesterday, 11:39 AM)Z Wrote: Station Park has signed an agreement with UTA to build a parking garage in place of the existing UTA parking lot in exchange for development rights for UTA owned property. I don't know the specifics of the exchange, but I believe that the open land is earmarked for either the commercial development or for the parking garage, making all land in the area spoken for.

There was discussion of a pedestrian tunnel from the train station across to Lagoon's neck of the woods. It was dropped due to cost and now pedestrian access will be above ground in a separate run from the roadway, but will drop people off on the wrong side of the interchange. It is intended to service people in the Farmington Crossing complex rather than serve people headed to Lagoon. Had they built the tunnel, it could have been oversized to allow tramway access instead. The cost would have been somewhere in the $15-25M neighborhood though.

The buses are running and look nice, but I have yet to see even one person riding. It seems like a waste of money to run such a frequent schedule when Lagoon is closed.

-Z
Thank you, again Nate as always, for your expert insight!

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island