What dose Lagoon mean to you?
What dose Lagoon mean to you?  

Lagoon is Love to me. I've met all my friends through Lagoon. I had my first Love there also my first heartbreak. I loved when I work there just watching all the families and firends create memories  and knowing that I had some part in to it even though most of the time they won't remember me. Lagoon is Love
To me, it's equal parts nostalgia & joy. I actually met my first girlfriend while working there, too (rather unexpectedly). It's weird going there now, because there's this familiarity and homey feeling to the place, but it's changed enough to feel like it's no longer mine to take care of, either. To this day, there is always this magical time right after closing when the cool breeze is coming off of Bountiful Peak blowing through the trees, and the midway is quiet, when there's this peaceful feeling of knowing the place made people happy that day. I used to treasure that time of night; I miss that feeling most of all not working there now.

These days, I get the most enjoyment out of a day at the park just sitting on a bench watching people stroll through the park having fun. I still enjoy a few rides here & there, but there's nothing like sitting back with a Dole Whip & watching kids of all ages having fun.

From when I was trained there, employees took so much pride in the place. I tell you, one of the worst parts about going to the park now as a former employee is just that you still feel that desire to point people to the nearest bathroom or pick up trash walking down the midway. It won't leave me. And it's such a stark contrast to most of the employees there now, it's almost a bit discouraging.
This is a bit corny, but to me it feels like home. I am not able to go as much as I would like, and trust me, the place is no where near perfect, but I am a stone cold amusement park lover, and lagoon is one of the nicest. I made so many memory's there, and I know the whole layout and lots of the parks history. I love the smell of the fountain once I walk in the first time every year, showing me I am back. I like the place enough to feel like home to me, and frightmares is probably more fun than the summer to me.

Really cheesy I know, but you asked Wink
(08-26-2018, 06:29 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: To me, it's equal parts nostalgia & joy.  I actually met my first girlfriend while working there, too (rather unexpectedly).  It's weird going there now, because there's this familiarity and homey feeling to the place, but it's changed enough to feel like it's no longer mine to take care of, either.  To this day, there is always this magical time right after closing when the cool breeze is coming off of Bountiful Peak blowing through the trees, and the midway is quiet, when there's this peaceful feeling of knowing the place made people happy that day.  I used to treasure that time of night; I miss that feeling most of all not working there now.

These days, I get the most enjoyment out of a day at the park just sitting on a bench watching people stroll through the park having fun.  I still enjoy a few rides here & there, but there's nothing like sitting back with a Dole Whip & watching kids of all ages having fun.

From when I was trained there, employees took so much pride in the place.  I tell you, one of the worst parts about going to the park now as a former employee is just that you still feel that desire to point people to the nearest bathroom or pick up trash walking down the midway.  It won't leave me.  And it's such a stark contrast to most of the employees there now, it's almost a bit discouraging.

I have a lot of the same feelings about the park. I love taking my kids now and seeing it bring them joy. I met my wife there and we love going together and both of us are dismayed by the "stark contrast" of the employees of years passed to the last few years. Its really quite sad. I still have to hold my tongue in yelling at kids to get off the fences lol.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(08-26-2018, 11:28 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I have a lot of the same feelings about the park. I love taking my kids now and seeing it bring them joy. I met my wife there and we love going together and both of us are dismayed by the "stark contrast" of the employees of years passed to the last few years. Its really quite sad. I still have to hold my tongue in yelling at kids to get off the fences lol.

Oh, I am so with you on the fence-sitting!  The line jumping is our bugbear these days.  It's rampant, and nobody gives a toss about it.  Almost seems we run into it on every other ride.  One time last year we actually watched in-uniform employees do it after their shift was over... I was flabbergasted.

So glad your family still gets to enjoy the park together!  Always wished I'd have been able to meet somebody else who was as much of a park dork as me, but... no such luck.  Ahh, to go back 20 years & not be a moron.
(08-26-2018, 11:28 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I have a lot of the same feelings about the park. I love taking my kids now and seeing it bring them joy. I met my wife there and we love going together and both of us are dismayed by the "stark contrast" of the employees of years passed to the last few years. Its really quite sad. I still have to hold my tongue in yelling at kids to get off the fences lol.

The employees problem could be fixed by the people who control them these days. I heard that the "Boss" of most of the employees these past years have been all work and no play, and just shouting at them to get out there and operate a ride, and show no joy. Do not know if that is true or not, but it is believable. It is very nice that you meet a wife who loves lagoon as much as you. Also, people who sit on fences get on my nerves when a park employee tells them to get down and they do not listen. happens a lot in line for rocket.
It's mainly a matter of nostalgia to me. My parents were not wealthy and were raising 7 kids. So we really only went once a year, but when we did it was a whole day experience. This was back when Lagoon was open til midnight. (I swear it did, it's what it seemed like!) Then when I was about 13 my aunt started buying us all season passes for our birthdays. That lasted for about 10-11 years until us kids started getting married and the added expense of spouses made it too much for her. From that point I actually stayed away from the park until this year when we got passes for myself, my wife and our son. It has been fun watching him enjoy the same rides I loved as a child and see him love the park like I did. I have been impressed with the new rides, especially the fact that there are more rides that we can ride alongside our son. Sure, there are things I miss, like the Pioneer Village "wild west shootout" show they used to put on and the mini-golf where the new kiddie land rides are, but overall I still feel like it's the same park I grew up loving.