Interesting Lagoon Tidbits
Learned a few interesting tidbits recently that I thought I would share.

Lagoon is Comprised of 225 Acres.

Lagoon has over 1,000 Surveillance Cameras in operation.

Lagoon's Attendance in 2015 was 1.7 Million Guests.

Cannibal has more than 70 cameras in and around it, and those cameras also capture stills at 30 frames per second.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(07-30-2018, 06:50 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Learned a few interesting tidbits recently that I thought I would share.

Lagoon is Comprised of 225 Acres.

Lagoon has over 1,000 Surveillance Cameras in operation.

Lagoon's Attendance in 2015 was 1.7 Million Guests.

Cannibal has more than 70 cameras in and around it, and those cameras also capture stills at 30 frames per second.

Mmmm... data.  I'm curious how much of and for how long Lagoon archives that security footage.  And whether it's stored on-site, streamed off-site, or a combination thereof.  That could potentially be a LOT of storage required.  Certainly a good-sized rack or two of NAS storage if it's onsite.

That's a respectable attendance number; even if you spread that out evenly across 120 days (guessing that's semi-ballpark to the number of full operational days; 3 months full-time plus a couple of months of weekends), that's an average of around 15,000 guests/day.
(07-30-2018, 07:05 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Mmmm... data.  I'm curious how much of and for how long Lagoon archives that security footage.  And whether it's stored on-site, streamed off-site, or a combination thereof.  That could potentially be a LOT of storage required.  Certainly a good-sized rack or two of NAS storage if it's onsite.

That's a respectable attendance number; even if you spread that out evenly across 120 days (guessing that's semi-ballpark to the number of full operational days; 3 months full-time plus a couple of months of weekends), that's an average of around 15,000 guests/day.
Considering people have come back years after and tried to sue Lagoon for this or that, I would imagine it would be years the footage goes back. Most of Lagoon's Cameras are also 1080 HD

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
(07-30-2018, 07:09 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Considering people have come back years after and tried to sue Lagoon for this or that, I would imagine it would be years the footage goes back. Most of Lagoon's Cameras are also 1080 HD

Yeah, that's what was on my mind; I'm sure they've got some pretty generous data retention policies.  I used to work in the data storage industry... just kinda one of those "oh yeah, never thought of that" moments.  All of that HD footage for years & years takes up a LOT of disk space... somewhere. Wink
(07-30-2018, 07:15 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Yeah, that's what was on my mind; I'm sure they've got some pretty generous data retention policies.  I used to work in the data storage industry... just kinda one of those "oh yeah, never thought of that" moments.  All of that HD footage for years & years takes up a LOT of disk space... somewhere. Wink

I would imagine most of it is offsite. Having that much storage in place is asking for trouble.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(07-30-2018, 07:22 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I would imagine most of it is offsite. Having that much storage in place is asking for trouble.

Would tend to agree.  I imagine a small bit of recent storage is onsite for fast retrieval, but I bet anything beyond short-term (days at most) is archived offsite.  Wouldn't be surprised if everything is streamed off-site for backup in near real-time as it's recorded.
(07-30-2018, 07:22 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I would imagine most of it is offsite. Having that much storage in place is asking for trouble.
However, if you were to build a large show building, for, I dunno, some reason, there would be an opportunity there.

(07-30-2018, 07:25 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Would tend to agree.  I imagine a small bit of recent storage is onsite for fast retrieval, but I bet anything beyond short-term (days at most) is archived offsite.  Wouldn't be surprised if everything is streamed off-site for backup in near real-time as it's recorded.
...and that is a part of what happens in the data center my cafe is in. Wink

(07-30-2018, 07:09 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Considering people have come back years after and tried to sue Lagoon for this or that, I would imagine it would be years the footage goes back. Most of Lagoon's Cameras are also 1080 HD

I don't exactly doubt that there's some part of Lagoon that has it's s*** together, but they do such a good job of hiding it that I'm not sure.

Let's see some long term time lapses.
I like dark rides

(07-30-2018, 07:25 PM)linearinduction Wrote: However, if you were to build a large show building, for, I dunno, some reason, there would be an opportunity there.

I work in the IT industry and its a best practice to not have all your eggs in one basket or in one location. I've communicated with Lagoon's IT department a few years back. They guy running the show sounded pretty knowledgeable so I bet most of the storage is off site.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West