Missing recycling bins?
Anybody know what the story is behind the recycling bins having been removed?  I've always loved that Lagoon offered those, but didn't see a single one in any of their regular spots tonight.  Wonder if they're getting new ones, or if a deal with Coke just ended/fell through?  Pretty disappointing to not have them around anymore.
(06-11-2018, 10:51 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: Anybody know what the story is behind the recycling bins having been removed?  I've always loved that Lagoon offered those, but didn't see a single one in any of their regular spots tonight.  Wonder if they're getting new ones, or if a deal with Coke just ended/fell through?  Pretty disappointing to not have them around anymore.
Yeah I was looking for one today and none to be found.
It is sad but I am betting it is the failure of recycling programs everywhere. We usually send things overseas to China but for a few different reasons they have stopped accepting raw recycling materials from the US. So cities are finding now that it just as cheap to dispose of it like as with any garbage. Very sad state of affairs but I am sure that is one of the reasons.
Very new at coasters because I have light motion sickness that has been unpredictable. But here it goes 10 roller coasters and counting.
(06-11-2018, 11:24 PM)Stacy Wrote: It is sad but I am betting it is the failure of recycling programs everywhere.  We usually send things overseas to China but for a few different reasons they have stopped accepting raw recycling materials from the US.  So cities are finding now that it just as cheap to dispose of it like as with any garbage.  Very sad state of affairs but I am sure that is one of the reasons.

That thought crossed my mind, too.  I know up here in Weber County they're having a lot of problems with people putting in non-recyclable stuff (or previously-recyclable stuff, such as plastic grocery bags) into the recycling to the point where they're having to trash a large fraction of the recycling now, and possibly even looking at ending some recycling programs.  It's scary how bad the plastic pollution is now, and if recycling disappears... yikes.

Sure hope that's not the reason for it, but it does make you wonder.
After watching this https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0771119/?ref_=ttep_ep5 I have kinda looked at recycling differently
Recycling number 1 PET and number 2 HDPE plastics would be efficient and environmentally friendly just like aluminum if people did not contaminate recycling bins with non-recyclable numbers 3-7 plastics. But nobody bothered to teach people how that works and they just think if it's plastic, or if it has the little triangle then it must be recyclable. In Japan for example, where people are required to understand and sort the materials they are throwing away/recycling and will be fined if they do not do it correctly, recycling works quite well.
I like dark rides

(06-12-2018, 10:21 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: Recycling number 1 PET and number 2 HDPE plastics would be efficient and environmentally friendly just like aluminum if people did not contaminate recycling bins with non-recyclable numbers 3-7 plastics. But nobody bothered to teach people how that works and they just think if it's plastic, or if it has the little triangle then it must be recyclable. In Japan for example, where people are required to understand and sort the materials they are throwing away/recycling and will be fined if they do not do it correctly, recycling works quite well.

I suspect local variations in what's allowed is not helping that cause in any way.  For instance, some places let you recycle plastic garbage bags, but if you try to do that up here in Weber County, your entire load of recyclables will get thrown straight in the trash--no sorting that crap out up here, just an insta-fail.

The apartment I live at has a mixed recycling bin that allows type 1 all the way through type 5 or 6, plus paper, cardboard, glass, and aluminum cans.  I'm in Weber County, but it's a private firm that does it, so I'm not sure if they accept plastic bags or not... always freaks me out.

If it were just a standard "this is what's allowable in Utah (or, better, in the U.S.)", it'd be so much easier to educate and get better results.
In case anyone was wondering.....Lagoon doesn't have a compactor for Recyclables, and Grounds collect the regular cans with the recyclables in the same bin. Unless the compacted trash is then sorted at the landfill, there never was recycling at Lagoon.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Yes I figured as much...at my job they have 6 bins for recycling but it is for looks because everything gets sorted the same into one bin and sent for sorting at reclaim facility.
Very new at coasters because I have light motion sickness that has been unpredictable. But here it goes 10 roller coasters and counting.
(06-12-2018, 08:47 PM)Stacy Wrote: Yes I figured as much...at my job they have 6 bins for recycling but it is for looks because everything gets sorted the same into one bin and sent for sorting at reclaim facility.
That would be extremely unusual, and expensive, to sort materials AFTER compaction. That is why you use different bins in the first place. Lagoon doesn't even have a cardboard compactor, to my knowledge, let alone a baler for plastics.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island