Undiagnosed pre-existing conditions and amusement park rides
I've read several stories of people who became ill or died while (or after) riding rides at amusement parks because they had a pre-existing undiagnosed condition that the ride aggravated. I'm trying to get an idea of how common this is. Have any of the former ride ops here ever seen this happen or have any insight they'd like to share?

Sorry for the bummer topic, but it's kind of a bummer night.
I like dark rides

While I was working at Cedar Point in 2001 a woman came back on Raptor deceased from an appearent heart attack.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(04-30-2018, 08:19 AM)linearinduction Wrote: While I was working at Cedar Point in 2001 a woman came back on Raptor deceased from an appearent heart attack.

Thank you for your response. I'm guessing this is the only time you're aware of during all the years you worked at parks? Probably an extremely rare occurrence then? Have you heard of many non-fatal incidents where the person was clearly not OK and not just drunk or something?
I like dark rides

(04-30-2018, 09:00 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: Thank you for your response. I'm guessing this is the only time you're aware of during all the years you worked at parks? Probably an extremely rare occurrence then? Have you heard of many non-fatal incidents where the person was clearly not OK and not just drunk or something?
Not that I remember off the top of my head. But, speaking of Cedar Point and drunks....besides the hung over employyees....a drunk guy face planted into the platform on SkyCoaster when he proned himself after we said "the platform is going to fall away from you." Someone like that would not be permitted on SkyCoaster at Lagoon, but the TL and ATL let him fly anyway.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
I had a lady come off of Jet Star at Lagoon with a broken neck. After she tried to sue lagoon though it was found out that she had broken in 3 month prior and the ride just aggravated it and Lagoon was not at fault cause she wasn't supposed to be riding rides yet.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(04-30-2018, 09:47 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I had a lady come off of Jet Star at Lagoon with a broken neck. After she tried to sue lagoon though it was found out that she had broken in 3 month prior and the ride just aggravated it and Lagoon was not at fault cause she wasn't supposed to be riding rides yet.
I forgot about that one! Oi Vey!

Thanks for the answers guys, now that I've heard your takes I'd delete this topic if I could.
I like dark rides

(04-30-2018, 09:42 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Thanks for the answers guys, now that I've heard your takes I'd delete this topic if I could.
Why delete it? It's informative and relavent. Smile