Air Race
What is the deal with Air Race.  If the ride is running it has 1-3 planes not operating (three last Friday night red green and yellow planes).  This is a newer ride that is not that complicated i would hope Zamperla would make it a bit more reliable, is not maintained or operated correctly?  I love the ride but the fact that it has many down days and the days it does run it doesn't run at capacity I seldom ride it because of the slow moving line.  Not to mention it could be loaded and unloaded about twice as fast as it is.  Confused
(06-29-2017, 05:09 PM)Dacookies Wrote: What is the deal with Air Race.  If the ride is running it has 1-3 planes not operating (three last Friday night red green and yellow planes).  This is a newer ride that is not that complicated i would hope Zamperla would make it a bit more reliable, is not maintained or operated correctly?  I love the ride but the fact that it has many down days and the days it does run it doesn't run at capacity I seldom ride it because of the slow moving line.  Not to mention it could be loaded and unloaded about twice as fast as it is.  Confused

I probably tried to ride that thing 6 times before I successfully got on it. If I get in line for it, it breaks. I've been on it once total. I'm not sure I have the patience to ever try and get on it again. It's a much better ride experience than Cliffhanger or Samurai, but it still sucks from the viewpoint of reliability.
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(06-29-2017, 05:09 PM)Dacookies Wrote: What is the deal with Air Race.  If the ride is running it has 1-3 planes not operating (three last Friday night red green and yellow planes).  This is a newer ride that is not that complicated i would hope Zamperla would make it a bit more reliable, is not maintained or operated correctly?  I love the ride but the fact that it has many down days and the days it does run it doesn't run at capacity I seldom ride it because of the slow moving line.  Not to mention it could be loaded and unloaded about twice as fast as it is.  Confused

What's really sad is when they opened it for the season all of the planes were working flawlessly, where as last season it was like it is now from day one.

(06-29-2017, 05:37 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: I probably tried to ride that thing 6 times before I successfully got on it. If I get in line for it, it breaks. I've been on it once total. I'm not sure I have the patience to ever try and get on it again. It's a much better ride experience than Cliffhanger or Samurai, but it still sucks from the viewpoint of reliability.
To call Air Race the most Technically Challenging Ride at Lagoon or in the Zamperla Catalog, would be an Understatement. Many times I've seen all 6 Planes operating early in the day, only to see 2 or 3 "Locked Out" later in the night due to Technical Issues. I mean, you have a Central Motor, then 6 Individual Motors for each Plane, then each Safety System for each Plane. There are lots of complicated parts.

Capacity, however, I've had ideas since the ride opened. If Lagoon painted 4 Colored Dots, with the corresponding plane Numbers on them, and assigned guests to a dot in the make shift bull pen, it would make it easier and faster to load and fill the planes. If operators hustled, like we used to back in the day, Load Times would be reduced, and while it would be financially impractical, having 4 ops checking 3 planes in pairs would reduce loading times as well. I'm sure Lagoon would have opted for the 8.4 had they had the space to construct it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(06-29-2017, 06:56 PM)linearinduction Wrote: To call Air Race the most Technically Challenging Ride at Lagoon or in the Zamperla Catalog, would be an Understatement. Many times I've seen all 6 Planes operating early in the day, only to see 2 or 3 "Locked Out" later in the night due to Technical Issues. I mean, you have a Central Motor, then 6 Individual Motors for each Plane, then each Safety System for each Plane. There are lots of complicated parts.

Capacity, however, I've had ideas since the ride opened. If Lagoon painted 4 Colored Dots, with the corresponding plane Numbers on them, and assigned guests to a dot in the make shift bull pen, it would make it easier and faster to load and fill the planes. If operators hustled, like we used to back in the day, Load Times would be reduced, and while it would be financially impractical, having 4 ops checking 3 planes in pairs would reduce loading times as well. I'm sure Lagoon would have opted for the 8.4 had they had the space to construct it.

My brother who worked Air Race a few seasons ago said the operators refereed to it as Fault Race because of the downtime it experienced. I've been on it once and it was a fun ride, much too bad its not having any luck.

On the point of operations, this year I haven't been impressed with any of the rides. Especially BomBora, as its my daughters favorite ride so I'm on it all the time, they stack trains all the time and it drives me crazy! I think it comes down that they have the operator walk through the queue line in the station to get to the front of the station and wait till the gates open to get back to where they can check lapbars. There is plenty of room for them to walk from the back to the front of the station. Heck for years at Dragon we walked on the maybe 6 inches of uneven ledge between the gates and the track with no issues but Bombora that has a good 1-2 feet of walking room between the track and the gates has to go walk through the crowded queue line and wait for the gates to open to get in. I'd love to know their reasoning behind from what I see as bad operations. Also the other week the operator at the controls of BomBora didn't even look at the train once. When I worked there we took pride in our work and I don't see that anymore at the park its really quite sad.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
This is sad to hear that it isn't just mismanagement. I work in a manufacturing environment where we have single PLC's running 20 plus motors/freq drives with that many photo eyes, proximity sensors, actuators and bar code scanners, so 7 motors and safety restraints seemed simple to me. Seems like they have finally got cliff hanger working so maybe there is still hope for Air Race.
(06-30-2017, 01:57 PM)Dacookies Wrote: This is sad to hear that it isn't just mismanagement.  I work in a manufacturing environment where we have single PLC's running 20 plus motors/freq drives with that many photo eyes, proximity sensors, actuators and bar code scanners, so 7 motors and safety restraints seemed simple to me.  Seems like they have finally got cliff hanger working so maybe there is still hope for Air Race.

10 years later lol!
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(06-30-2017, 01:57 PM)Dacookies Wrote: This is sad to hear that it isn't just mismanagement. I work in a manufacturing environment where we have single PLC's running 20 plus motors/freq drives with that many photo eyes, proximity sensors, actuators and bar code scanners, so 7 motors and safety restraints seemed simple to me. Seems like they have finally got cliff hanger working so maybe there is still hope for Air Race.
As I understand it, there's some sort of sensor on each Mechanical Lock, as well as the Hydraulic Locks, so that's 96 on Restraints alone. Even if there's only one sensor for each type of lock, that's still 48. While Amusment Rides are essentially Large Pieces of Machinery, the operating parameters are more strict, as they carry people, so while programming may be similar, there's more sensors and switches than you may think.

(06-30-2017, 02:10 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: 10 years later lol!
Don't you mean 16 years later? lol

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Air Race has had some pretty good operations with 2-2.5 Minute Load Times and only a 2 Cycle Wait. #6 is Still Locked out, but is no longer swinging out via momentum. I would imagine it's a Major Part Lagoon is waiting on.

Yeah this thing has problems. I hope they get this fixed as this is my favorite flat ride they have. It's a blast when it's working right.