Lagoon Lighting
I'm very confused with the lights at lagoon... Nighttime is my favorite time to visit the park and the lighting on different rides and around the park is pretty hit or miss. I love that they have been lighting up the tower on Rocket... Skyscraper looks great still... On the other hand Colossus has had an entire loop out every night I've been there and Rollercoaster's lighting is pretty spotty, the first two drops are lit and the rest is dark, i know the west turn and the south facing drops have lighting as well. Is this a situation that's not a priority to address? I just feel that it's all part of the presentation of the park and it really bothers me. 

Also, hi I'm new here. I'm a big fan of the park and these discussion boards.
Welcome to LIF! Apart from a few weirdos, we're a pretty cool group of folks. Tongue Hope you enjoy your stay!

I adore Lagoon at night, and yeah... sometimes the lighting is frustrating. But, having been on the "keeping the lights working" end of the stick, I also know it can be a huge challenge. Luckily, with LEDs these days, it's easier (when I was there, everything was incandescent or fluorescent), but especially on the rides, the vibration & the elements really wreak havoc on the electrical systems. Sometimes the work to change bulbs on some of the rides takes so much time, it's not worth doing one-offs until you have enough to schedule a "lighting party" and swap out a bunch of them, too.

Still, yeah... I really wish the rides were a bit better lit up at times. Some of the rides look so awesome with all of their jewelry working at night. Heck, I remember when there were whole seasons with some key lighting on some of the rides not working. Luckily, you've found the right place to be passionate about it. Wink
Lighting has always been interesting to watch over the years. It does seem to be getting better than it was awhile back when the park felt so dark at night. I think it just depends on where their budget is at each year and what is being worked on. You may see certain lights out for quite some time. It really depends on the importance of the lights. Will it cause issues being out with guest safety? Then it will probably be fixed fairly quickly. If not, it may be some time before we see the lighting running again on certain things.
I love the multi-colored lighting on the facade of Dracula's castle. I copy it during Halloween every year. I also love the colorful small jewel lights that are distinctive of amusement parks/carnivals in general. If it's a big while flood light pointed at a ride I could do without it.
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(06-07-2017, 12:12 AM)count.orion Wrote: I'm very confused with the lights at lagoon... Nighttime is my favorite time to visit the park and the lighting on different rides and around the park is pretty hit or miss. I love that they have been lighting up the tower on Rocket... Skyscraper looks great still... On the other hand Colossus has had an entire loop out every night I've been there and Rollercoaster's lighting is pretty spotty, the first two drops are lit and the rest is dark, i know the west turn and the south facing drops have lighting as well. Is this a situation that's not a priority to address? I just feel that it's all part of the presentation of the park and it really bothers me. 

From what I've heard, Roller Coaster suffers from a contractor *cough* Yesco *cough* using "cheap" products that were not very weather resistant and "Racoon Proof."

Sky Scraper has it's lighting plc stuck, unfortunately, so it could look better, Fire Dragon can be hit or miss in regards to the lighting, TOTC's Tower no longer has the "Frosted" LEDs, and Screamer seems to be looking really great this year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Welcome to LIF!

I noticed Paratrooper has a mix of incandescent (large bulbs) and LED. Kinda interesting Lagoon mixed them. I assumed the switch to LED was to save electricity as well as improve bulb longevity. I still don't like Tilt at night anymore. It was better with incandescent bulbs back in the day. Lagoon could switch the cold blue LEDs out for a closer approximation of incandescent. LED tech has improved over the past few years.
(06-07-2017, 01:50 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: I love the multi-colored lighting on the facade of Dracula's castle. I copy it during Halloween every year. I also love the colorful small jewel lights that are distinctive of amusement parks/carnivals in general. If it's a big while flood light pointed at a ride I could do without it.

I was happy to see the lights on castle are more blue and green this year. Kinda gives it a more eerie vibe.
(06-07-2017, 07:19 AM)gregwibert Wrote: Welcome to LIF!

I noticed Paratrooper has a mix of incandescent (large bulbs) and LED. Kinda interesting Lagoon mixed them. I assumed the switch to LED was to save electricity as well as improve bulb longevity. I still don't like Tilt at night anymore. It was better with incandescent bulbs back in the day. Lagoon could switch the cold blue LEDs out for a closer approximation of incandescent. LED tech has improved over the past few years.

Yeah, totally agree:  always bugs me when people think they're doing a great thing by switching to LEDs, but they don't do their homework and end up installing retina-melting 5000K lamps.  Just get the 2700K lamps instead, use even less energy, and you won't wash out everyone's night with all the extra blue.  My apartment complex did that with their stairwells a few years ago... it was months before it didn't freak me out, it was so garish.  Still torks me off for all the extra light pollution.
(06-07-2017, 04:28 AM)linearinduction Wrote: From what I've heard, Roller Coaster suffers from a contractor *cough* Yesco *cough* using "cheap" products that were not very weather resistant and "Racoon Proof."

Sky Scraper has it's lighting plc stuck, unfortunately, so it could look better, Fire Dragon can be hit or miss in regards to the lighting, TOTC's Tower no longer has the "Frosted" LEDs, and Screamer seems to be looking really great this year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I thought they spent a significant amount of money to re-do Sky Scraper's lighting some handful of years ago. I doubt they'll do anything with it now since Cannibal blocks the west view of the ride. Have you heard anything Sid?
(06-07-2017, 12:12 AM)count.orion Wrote: I'm very confused with the lights at lagoon... Nighttime is my favorite time to visit the park and the lighting on different rides and around the park is pretty hit or miss. I love that they have been lighting up the tower on Rocket... Skyscraper looks great still... On the other hand Colossus has had an entire loop out every night I've been there and Rollercoaster's lighting is pretty spotty, the first two drops are lit and the rest is dark, i know the west turn and the south facing drops have lighting as well. Is this a situation that's not a priority to address? I just feel that it's all part of the presentation of the park and it really bothers me. 

Hi! Welcome. Glad you're here.