2017 Opening Day Wrap-up (Spoilers)
For those who didn't brave the chilly, soggy opening day (and even for those who did but may have missed a tidbit or two), here's a quick recap of the highlights of Opening Day 2017!

• The two new Kiddie Land rides, Ruka Safari and Flying Tigers, are not yet open.  The ride enclosures have concrete poured and conduits in place, but the rides themselves are still on a boat.  Sounds like they should be arriving soon.  Still some midway pavement to clean up, but the ride enclosures look great (Flying Tigers will have a wood-covered gazebo covering to match the one on Tipsy Tea Cups).  Flying Tigers is in the old location of Bulgy, and Ruka Safari is just north of it (immediately east of Coke Plaza).

• Bulgy the Whale is freshly repainted and now located north of Jumping Dragon, southeast of Odysea.  He has an old friend out front... see if you can spot it!

• Terroride will likely be closed through the Spring season, opening as "A Classic Reimagined" probably sometime in June.

• The new north restrooms are not yet complete nor open; however, they are still scheduled to be opened this season.  Keep an eye out for them in June.

• There are plans in place to replace the south bathrooms in a similar fashion to the way the north bathrooms are being upgraded.  Currently undecided whether they'll expand south into the Campground or relocate Screamer.

• Hydro Luge is probably staying where it's at for awhile.  The plan was to relocate it, but utilities discovered near the ride have likely led to northern expansions building around the ride instead.

• There are BIG plans underway for the north field.  In addition to the current construction going on for the new north restrooms, there are also digs for utility work as well as preliminary work on a significant new ride, likely targeted for the 2020-ish season.  Footprint of the ride likely to be in the same size ballpark as Cannibal.  Ride design still being finalized.

• Catapult is still targeted to re-open.  There were several items discovered that needed work (such as a completely new ride computer) that have been delayed due to other projects, but it sounds as if they're hoping to reopen this season.

• As of 3/25, there are several rides not yet open:
    - Samurai (ride not yet assembled; awaiting parts)
    - Air Races (ride not yet assembled; awaiting parts)
    - Spider (awaiting parts)
    - Ladybug Bop (awaiting parts)
    - Hydro Luge (awaiting parts)
    - Catapult (awaiting parts)
    - Flying Tigers (still in transit)
    - Ruka Safari (still in transit)

• The following rides were not open today, but appeared to be weather-related closures instead of maintenance-related:
    - Skyscraper
    - Cannibal (intermittent closures)
    - Jet Star 2
    - Bombora
    - Puff the Little Fire Dragon

• As Will mentioned in another thread, there's a new food stand in Pioneer Village (next to Pioneer Village Photos) that will be serving Navajo Tacos.  Looks to be nearing completion, but not yet open.

• The Plinko game near Colossus:  The Fire Dragon has been replaced by new construction that I believe I heard is rumored to be a new frozen yogurt shop, but feel free to correct me if I've misremembered.
I swear I think I'm missing one other new food stand... somebody help me out?  Other than that, I think I covered most of the big goodies.  If I missed anything, feel free to add below!
(03-26-2017, 02:01 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: For those who didn't brave the chilly, soggy opening day (and even for those who did but may have missed a tidbit or two), here's a quick recap of the highlights of Opening Day 2017!

That's highly informative, thank you!
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(03-26-2017, 02:01 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: For those who didn't brave the chilly, soggy opening day (and even for those who did but may have missed a tidbit or two), here's a quick recap of the highlights of Opening Day 2017!

• The two new Kiddie Land rides, Ruka Safari and Flying Tigers, are not yet open.  The ride enclosures have concrete poured and conduits in place, but the rides themselves are still on a boat.  Sounds like they should be arriving soon.  Still some midway pavement to clean up, but the ride enclosures look great (Flying Tigers will have a wood-covered gazebo covering to match the one on Tipsy Tea Cups).  Flying Tigers is in the old location of Bulgy, and Ruka Safari is just north of it (immediately east of Coke Plaza).

• Bulgy the Whale is freshly repainted and now located north of Jumping Dragon, southeast of Odysea.  He has an old friend out front... see if you can spot it!

• Terroride will likely be closed through the Spring season, opening as "A Classic Reimagined" probably sometime in June.

• The new north restrooms are not yet complete nor open; however, they are still scheduled to be opened this season.  Keep an eye out for them in June.

• There are plans in place to replace the south bathrooms in a similar fashion to the way the north bathrooms are being upgraded.  Currently undecided whether they'll expand south into the Campground or relocate Screamer.

• Hydro Luge is probably staying where it's at for awhile.  The plan was to relocate it, but utilities discovered near the ride have likely led to northern expansions building around the ride instead.

• There are BIG plans underway for the north field.  In addition to the current construction going on for the new north restrooms, there are also digs for utility work as well as preliminary work on a significant new ride, likely targeted for the 2020-ish season.  Footprint of the ride likely to be in the same size ballpark as Cannibal.  Ride design still being finalized.

• Catapult is still targeted to re-open.  There were several items discovered that needed work (such as a completely new ride computer) that have been delayed due to other projects, but it sounds as if they're hoping to reopen this season.

• As of 3/25, there are several rides not yet open:
    - Samurai (ride not yet assembled; awaiting parts)
    - Air Races (ride not yet assembled; awaiting parts)
    - Spider (awaiting parts)
    - Ladybug Bop (awaiting parts)
    - Hydro Luge (awaiting parts)
    - Catapult (awaiting parts)
    - Flying Tigers (still in transit)
    - Ruka Safari (still in transit)

• The following rides were not open today, but appeared to be weather-related closures instead of maintenance-related:
    - Skyscraper
    - Cannibal (intermittent closures)
    - Jet Star 2
    - Bombora
    - Puff the Little Fire Dragon

• As Will mentioned in another thread, there's a new food stand in Pioneer Village (next to Pioneer Village Photos) that will be serving Navajo Tacos.  Looks to be nearing completion, but not yet open.

• The Plinko game near Colossus:  The Fire Dragon has been replaced by new construction that I believe I heard is rumored to be a new frozen yogurt shop, but feel free to correct me if I've misremembered.
I swear I think I'm missing one other new food stand... somebody help me out?  Other than that, I think I covered most of the big goodies.  If I missed anything, feel free to add below!
Yes, thank you very much. I hope to make it there this saturday
On Hydro, I would say it shouldn't be hard for Lagoon to relocate utilities, considering how long they've been at it (Decades). Might be with just putting in all the new electrical by Cannibal several years ago.

For New South Restrooms, I would think with South Animals Road being the primary Emergency Vehicle Access Point to the South End of the Park, that building it IN the Campground would be the only option. Relocating Screamer would also seem more difficult than Musik Express, which many on the Fair Circuits are the same Base Frame style as Musik. That said, relocating Screamer could give Lagoon the chance to put the "trailer" in a pit and offer ground level loading, which would be immensely easier for loading guests who have disabilities. It could also give Lagoon a reason to look at a new HUSS Park Attractions Enterprise G2.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(03-28-2017, 12:48 AM)linearinduction Wrote: On Hydro, I would say it shouldn't be hard for Lagoon to relocate utilities, considering how long they've been at it (Decades). Might be with just putting in all the new electrical by Cannibal several years ago.

For New South Restrooms, I would think with South Animals Road being the primary Emergency Vehicle Access Point to the South End of the Park, that building it IN the Campground would be the only option. Relocating Screamer would also seem more difficult than Musik Express, which many on the Fair Circuits are the same Base Frame style as Musik. That said, relocating Screamer could give Lagoon the chance to put the "trailer" in a pit and offer ground level loading, which would be immensely easier for loading guests who have disabilities. It could also give Lagoon a reason to look at a new HUSS Park Attractions Enterprise G2.

From what I heard from multiple sources, part of the issue with the utilities is that they discovered quite a bit of previously-undocumented (or poorly documented, at least) utilities, and they're having to dig & see what they find (literally and figuratively).  That's part of the big piles of dirt you see up in the employee lot north of Samurai/Hydro right now.

Ground-level loading for Screamer would sure be slick, although I agree a nice G2 wouldn't look too shabby, either.  Heck, get a G2 -AND- relocate Screamer, why not?  Wink
Yikes! Having to do some utility archeology is not good! One would think with the former race track there, it would be poorly documented vs. not documented. Other than perhaps track lighting and/or old Salt Lake and Ogden/Bamberger Railroad Electrical, what would there be?

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
(03-28-2017, 12:48 AM)linearinduction Wrote: On Hydro, I would say it shouldn't be hard for Lagoon to relocate utilities, considering how long they've been at it (Decades). Might be with just putting in all the new electrical by Cannibal several years ago.

It depends on the utilities... With some electrical utilities, you may have to reestablish conductor for a very long run, which can be very expensive. If it is sewer lines, you may run into grade issues that could prevent you from altering the line without installing a pump station (which in not fun to own and is expensive). Mostly though, it's about understanding what you need to do when you are surprised by undocumented structures, which takes time. I wish them luck!

-Z
(03-28-2017, 10:05 AM)Z Wrote: It depends on the utilities... With some electrical utilities, you may have to reestablish conductor for a very long run, which can be very expensive. If it is sewer lines, you may run into grade issues that could prevent you from altering the line without installing a pump station (which in not fun to own and is expensive). Mostly though, it's about understanding what you need to do when you are surprised by undocumented structures, which takes time. I wish them luck!

-Z
And as always Z, thank you for your knowledge and expertise.

(03-26-2017, 02:01 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Hydro Luge is probably staying where it's at for awhile.  The plan was to relocate it, but utilities discovered near the ride have likely led to northern expansions building around the ride instead.

Wait... They were going to move it and not trash/sell/scrap it? But now it's going to stay? Do people still ride it?
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(07-20-2017, 10:08 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Wait... They were going to move it and not trash/sell/scrap it? But now it's going to stay? Do people still ride it?

yep, saw a bunch of people riding it / in line. They were only running people through the blue tunnel. The black tunnel had water flowing but no one was coming down that one.