Lagoon discussion on Reddit
I only just joined up a month ago or so. Not sure why it took me so long, either. Kind of a fun place!
(08-27-2016, 10:55 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: As I look at the map, an interesting thought or two comes to mind.  First, I wonder if Lagoon owns the land west of the Annex to Lagoon Drive north of the race track?  Employee parking (except for a few execs & Maintenance) is all the way up closer to the Annex/200 W now.  I also think that with most of the buildings & structures between the Rides office and the shops razed these days, and the fact that the Rides office is about to be overrun by new rides, and that there's a great midway between DTR and Cannibal that kinda dead-ends...

What if it was time to move the Rides office & Maintenance shops and expand the midway west from DTR/Cannibal?
- Build a new employee parking entrance either off of 200 W. or build a new N-S road just west of the Annex off of Park Lane into the employee lot.
- Move the Maintenance shop and the Rides/Merchandising offices into a new Lagoon offices complex in proximity to the Annex in the east end of the race track (still have easy access for Maintenance into the park via the north midway)

That would open up the entire area west of DTR/Cannibal to Lagoon Drive to midway/rides expansion and/or parking lot expansion.

Eh, maybe I'm nuts... and of course that's all moot if the plan really is to eventually move the main parking lot to the race track anyway.

...actually, I think it almost makes a lot of sense to still move the offices and employee parking lot to the east side of the race track, but here's a twist:  take Lagoon Drive and make it go straight south from Park Lane in between the employee lot on the east side, and a new northern parking lot for guests on the west side down through where the offices are now... then you can use some of the old parking lot area between DTR/Skycoaster and Roller Coaster for new expansion.

Eh, what do I know... I chose a career in PHP development, so... yeah.  Just pay no attention to my crazy ramblings!

I like your way of thinking. I've always though the maintenance shop would be better located up on 200 West. I like the idea of the park offices all being up there as well. Have employee parking remain close to there making clocking in much less of a hassle.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
Wasn't trying to hide the subreddit at all. Just kind of spaced pointing out that I had set it up.

I want to make it easy for people to stay up to date with LIF, so I'm willing to share where needed. This means LIF is now on the following networks: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, Imzy, and now Reddit. You can follow whatever you prefer and stay updated. Smile
I have FINALLY signed up for reddit and I seriously don't know why I never did before. There's a lot of interesting stuff on there. I can see why they call it the front page of the internet. Pretty awesome. I found some Lagoon topics on there in areas as obscure as /r/woodworking!
(08-26-2016, 12:50 AM)Brădēn Wrote: The only thing is I'm not really sure what core drilling is or if that's what they were doing. I looked it up and it sounds different than what I expected the drilling rig was doing. I don't know. I kind of wonder just how close the person is the project or if it's been filtered down through a few different people. Either way, something's going on out there.

As others have mentioned, core drilling would be overkill for a parking lot. Core drilling is where you collect a sample of the soil by drilling a soil probe into the earth and examine the different strata to determine how much load the existing soil can bear. This is required for virtually any structure, but not for surface features (e.g. parking lots or walkways) unless you are very concerned about the feature settling. There is little to bed surmised about the fact that they were taking samples, except that they wanted to know more about the area to allow them to design a structure with appropriate foundations. Could be a new entrance building, a restroom, or the new Trump Tower of Terror!

-Z
Hey Will, nice li'l scoop over there on reddit! That's one heck of an interesting hole... looks like at least one, maybe two forklifts down there? Guessing that means there must be a pretty stable base down there. Awful big hole for utilities, and seems like an odd place to bury tanks. Can't imagine needing to go that deep to prepare midway/driveway, either. New footing, maybe?
It honestly seems strange they would start on another coaster, or any big ride at this moment. It's also in an extremely odd place at the corner of Cannibal's new walkway. I have no clue what it would be for and is very interesting!!!

EDIT: Here is the original tweet from Beyond vertical showcasing the hole in question. Again, extremely interesting!!

(09-18-2016, 07:42 PM)RCF Wrote: It honestly seems strange they would start on another coaster, or any big ride at this moment. It's also in an extremely odd place at the corner of Cannibal's new walkway. I have no clue what it would be for and is very interesting!!!

EDIT: Here is the original tweet from Beyond vertical showcasing the hole in question. Again, extremely interesting!!
link

I marked the location of this hole (excavation) on this map, and I also marked the location Braden gave for the core sample drilling, and just for fun I marked the area where I believe the new park entrance is proposed to go.

I say, take a lot of photos of Hydro Luge this year, it may be its last.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(09-18-2016, 07:42 PM)WRCF Wrote: It honestly seems strange they would start on another coaster, or any big ride at this moment. It's also in an extremely odd place at the corner of Cannibal's new walkway. I have no clue what it would be for and is very interesting!!!

link

Ive heard it's going to be new north-end restrooms to replace the old building by samurai. Odd location though, behind that planter
(09-18-2016, 11:42 PM)Coasterdude97 Wrote: Ive heard it's going to be new north-end restrooms to replace the old building by samurai. Odd location though, behind that planter

I've heard from a reputable source that it's going to be a building, so that jives... but the location doesn't for a restroom. The only way that makes sense as a restroom is if the midway is growing northward. The only reason that would make sense is one of two things: either there's a new ride coming north or the current midway (there's no reason to extend the midway behind Samurai or past the Cannibal planter otherwise), or the park entrance is being moved finally.

Only other thought is maybe it's a new employee office. With most of the seasonal employee parking right up there now, might make more sense to have employees check in there rather than walking all the way down to the Rides/Merchandise (or is that the Games office out there? I can never remember which other division is all the way out that way) offices and then across the parking lot back into the front entrance.