Lagoon discussion on Reddit
The only thing is I'm not really sure what core drilling is or if that's what they were doing. I looked it up and it sounds different than what I expected the drilling rig was doing. I don't know. I kind of wonder just how close the person is the project or if it's been filtered down through a few different people. Either way, something's going on out there.
I would think it would be to test the stability of the land for more foot traffic more than a coaster, which leads me to believe it's the start of a new parking lot.
Looking at the Google maps, you can see they have connections to Lagoon Drive, so they at least have thought about making that area into a parking lot.
The north field is as big as the entire park. Where in the field are they drilling?

I believe that type of drilling is used to determine how well the ground would support a structure. It might be overkill if just for a parking lot. I'm pretty sure Cannibal is intended to be at the northern most border of the park, so I doubt it has to do with a new ride.

I wonder if it might have something to do with a hotel, shopping/restaurant area, or transportation system.
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
Sorry, I should've been more specific. The drilling rig was northeast of Hydro-Luge.
As I look at the map, an interesting thought or two comes to mind. First, I wonder if Lagoon owns the land west of the Annex to Lagoon Drive north of the race track? Employee parking (except for a few execs & Maintenance) is all the way up closer to the Annex/200 W now. I also think that with most of the buildings & structures between the Rides office and the shops razed these days, and the fact that the Rides office is about to be overrun by new rides, and that there's a great midway between DTR and Cannibal that kinda dead-ends...

What if it was time to move the Rides office & Maintenance shops and expand the midway west from DTR/Cannibal?
- Build a new employee parking entrance either off of 200 W. or build a new N-S road just west of the Annex off of Park Lane into the employee lot.
- Move the Maintenance shop and the Rides/Merchandising offices into a new Lagoon offices complex in proximity to the Annex in the east end of the race track (still have easy access for Maintenance into the park via the north midway)

That would open up the entire area west of DTR/Cannibal to Lagoon Drive to midway/rides expansion and/or parking lot expansion.

Eh, maybe I'm nuts... and of course that's all moot if the plan really is to eventually move the main parking lot to the race track anyway.

...actually, I think it almost makes a lot of sense to still move the offices and employee parking lot to the east side of the race track, but here's a twist: take Lagoon Drive and make it go straight south from Park Lane in between the employee lot on the east side, and a new northern parking lot for guests on the west side down through where the offices are now... then you can use some of the old parking lot area between DTR/Skycoaster and Roller Coaster for new expansion.

Eh, what do I know... I chose a career in PHP development, so... yeah. Just pay no attention to my crazy ramblings!
I think I see what you're thinking. I like the idea of having the shop and offices at the east end of the Race Track. Lagoon basically owns all the homes on 200 West so the only other source of traffic is from people using the Lagoon Trail. It would be a nice separated entrance there. I would also add a road between the terraces and Farmington Creek so vehicles can get around while the park is open. Not sure why they didn't think of that when they expanded that way.

Also, Lagoon does own the land west of the Annex to Lagoon Drive.
^^Let me take your idea (which is phenomenal in itself) and drag it out into a huge expansion of Lagoon.

Through the magic of doodling on my phone, I have a thought-out idea of what Lagoon could do if they wanted to move the entrance to the north field with a new parking lot.

First, the green area is where the new entrance would go, and the blue lines are the new paths connecting the entrance to the rest of the park.
The red areas are what would be removed/moved elsewhere for this expansion. As the idea has progressed, I have figured this would be in two phases.

Phase one is the bare bones of what Lagoon would need to do to make sure the park opened with the new entrance without any issues. Obviously, the current entrance, guest relations, lockers, first aid, and employee building will all be rebuilt in the green area with the new entrance. The paths are all created to help maximize the area and connect most dead ends the park has, including making the path under Roller Coaster connect over where Wicked is. Where the cranes would go, I wouldn't know. Maybe stay there and create a shack for it?

The walkway loop is there for something to be done in phase two, which would be explained later. A connection of the new path to the path between Cannibal and DTR would be created, but the issue is how narrow the midway is near the entrance of DTR. Because of that, I figured it would be best to remove them to help widen that area, even though that would put a dead end to Cannibal's Gift Shop. Don't worry, that is addressed in phase 2.

The maintenance shop would be moved where you have explained (much better idea than I had, which was putting it where the tennis buildings are,) so that the new parking lot can be connected to the current parking lot entrance, which would also be expanded. That area would also double for a drop off zone right next to the entrance, which could be used for a shuttle service if Lagoon ever thinks about making one for the parking lot. At least it would be used for the current shuttle from the Frontrunner Station. No more long walks across the parking lot for employees! Yay!

The current parking lot that is left would become the new employee parking, as well as parking for patrons if they would need to use it. With how big the north field is, I wouldn't think a full parking lot in that space would be completely full on busy Saturdays. Right now as a field, you can see so many empty spaces that would be better used with a designated parking lot.

Oh, and new bathrooms somewhere along the path. You always need new bathrooms.

Phase two would be the addition of some other buildings, (like a new theater, eatery, gift shop, maybe a coffee shop around the lines of what Silverwood has,) and moving of some rides. First, move Skyscraper into the loop so that people would stop complaining about not having a view of the shopping center and I-15. That old location would then be for a new Cannibal Gift Shop and possibly new bathrooms for the North Midway if the space can allow. This wouldn't include the removal of all of the trees in that location, because trees are awesome. This way, the path from the new entrance heading up past Cannibal would be able to go right through. Paratrooper would also be flipped around so that the small path it currently connects to can be eliminated, and can help widen that path in front of Punkin' Chunkin- I mean Catapult. Tilt-A-Whirl would be moved somewhere near Skyscraper's new location to help create a main walkway through that area of trees. It's a mess in its current form, and people would most likely come from the entrance, through that path by Canmibal to head to the pavilions. All of those coolers would make it a struggle to get through that area.

The huge land left from DTR could still be used for new go-carts, but only have one new track that features both single seat carts and the double seated carts, and also to fit the new
area better. This could also make a new path between Cannibal and the Skyscraper loop, but it would seem to be redundant for walkways to be looping around for no reason.

Phase two could be done in multiple seasons to help ease the cost of the entire expansion, as well as be able to add some new rides during the process.

Some people might be asking why I have this extremely detailed plan? That is because I am temporarily disabled and have had a lot of time on my hands, so I decided to play around with the rumor of a new entrance and parking lot.
(08-27-2016, 04:03 PM)RCF Wrote: ^^Let me take your idea (which is phenomenal in itself) and drag it out into a huge expansion of Lagoon.

Through the magic of doodling on my phone, I have a thought-out idea of what Lagoon could do if they wanted to move the entrance to the north field with a new parking lot.

First, the green area is where the new entrance would go, and the blue lines are the new paths connecting the entrance to the rest of the park.
The red areas are what would be removed/moved elsewhere for this expansion. As the idea has progressed, I have figured this would be in two phases.

Phase one is the bare bones of what Lagoon would need to do to make sure the park opened with the new entrance without any issues. Obviously, the current entrance, guest relations, lockers, first aid, and employee building will all be rebuilt in the green area with the new entrance. The paths are all created to help maximize the area and connect most dead ends the park has, including making the path under Roller Coaster connect over where Wicked is. Where the cranes would go, I wouldn't know. Maybe stay there and create a shack for it?

The walkway loop is there for something to be done in phase two, which would be explained later. A connection of the new path to the path between Cannibal and DTR would be created, but the issue is how narrow the midway is near the entrance of DTR. Because of that, I figured it would be best to remove them to help widen that area, even though that would put a dead end to Cannibal's Gift Shop. Don't worry, that is addressed in phase 2.

The maintenance shop would be moved where you have explained (much better idea than I had, which was putting it where the tennis buildings are,) so that the new parking lot can be connected to the current parking lot entrance, which would also be expanded. That area would also double for a drop off zone right next to the entrance, which could be used for a shuttle service if Lagoon ever thinks about making one for the parking lot. At least it would be used for the current shuttle from the Frontrunner Station. No more long walks across the parking lot for employees! Yay!

The current parking lot that is left would become the new employee parking, as well as parking for patrons if they would need to use it. With how big the north field is, I wouldn't think a full parking lot in that space would be completely full on busy Saturdays. Right now as a field, you can see so many empty spaces that would be better used with a designated parking lot.

Oh, and new bathrooms somewhere along the path. You always need new bathrooms.

Phase two would be the addition of some other buildings, (like a new theater, eatery, gift shop, maybe a coffee shop around the lines of what Silverwood has,) and moving of some rides. First, move Skyscraper into the loop so that people would stop complaining about not having a view of the shopping center and I-15. That old location would then be for a new Cannibal Gift Shop and possibly new bathrooms for the North Midway if the space can allow. This wouldn't include the removal of all of the trees in that location, because trees are awesome. This way, the path from the new entrance heading up past Cannibal would be able to go right through. Paratrooper would also be flipped around so that the small path it currently connects to can be eliminated, and can help widen that path in front of Punkin' Chunkin- I mean Catapult. Tilt-A-Whirl would be moved somewhere near Skyscraper's new location to help create a main walkway through that area of trees. It's a mess in its current form, and people would most likely come from the entrance, through that path by Canmibal to head to the pavilions. All of those coolers would make it a struggle to get through that area.

The huge land left from DTR could still be used for new go-carts, but only have one new track that features both single seat carts and the double seated carts, and also to fit the new
area better. This could also make a new path between Cannibal and the Skyscraper loop, but it would seem to be redundant for walkways to be looping around for no reason.

Phase two could be done in multiple seasons to help ease the cost of the entire expansion, as well as be able to add some new rides during the process.

Some people might be asking why I have this extremely detailed plan? That is because I am temporarily disabled and have had a lot of time on my hands, so I decided to play around with the rumor of a new entrance and parking lot.

Wow! Thanks RCF! I hope you get un-disabled really soon (definitely in time for Frightmares and Halloween!)
By the way, not sure if it was clear to anyone or not (in fact, I'm surprised Will didn't post a follow-up... maybe he's secretly trying to keep it a secret? Tongue ), but there is an actual LIF subreddit now for all of you out there of that persuasion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LagoonIsFun/
Cool. Maybe now is a good time to finally get a Reddit account. Not sure why I've hesitated. There seems be a lot going on there.