If Lagoon could add anythin, what would you want them to add?
Some pieces of the old mini golf course we'll be coming back this year. Keep an eye on the gardens...
I hope so, though, admittedly, I think a lot of what bugged me in the first place about their having taken it out was that they put in its place a new ride - the Jumping Dragon - that isn't all that different from an existing ride - the Musik Express; I mean, if you're going to take something out, at least do us all the courtesy of putting in (no pun intended) something that's at least reasonably different from anything else you're still offering.
(02-24-2017, 07:00 PM)Brăden Wrote: Some pieces of the old mini golf course we'll be coming back this year. Keep an eye on the gardens...

Awesome! Dracula's Castle was the best piece, but I don't know if they could have saved it.
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(02-24-2017, 08:05 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Awesome! Dracula's Castle was the best piece, but I don't know if they could have saved it.
I'm sure it's all gravel now. Which is too bad because they probably put more work into that one than any of the others.
(02-24-2017, 02:42 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: I'd have to look it up, but that almost sounds like a ride Lagoon used to have called Speedway... always liked it, but it was a maintenance nightmare. I'll check when I'm back home later!

I realized afterwards that "racing" might be a bit of a misrepresentation of the ride (I wrote most of the comments with the original idea of being able to link a Youtube video directly into the comments, and didn't really adjust any of the text comments when the boards wouldn't let me include the video); the ride was probably around 10-15 mph in speed, so in many ways it was like a leisurely Sunday drive out in the country that our grandparents would take.  So it's a ride that offered a long length and individual "cars" (like Double Thunder Raceway) combined with the family-friendly aspects Red Rock Rally (it's also a good ride for those who get queasy on rides that have lots of speed and fast turns); it was a ride that's for everyone (though it's also one of those rides that those under a certain height - 48", if memory serves me without checking Great America's website - have to be accompanied by a "responsible" person over that height).
(02-24-2017, 11:37 PM)Gregory Wrote: I realized afterwards that "racing" might be a bit of a misrepresentation of the ride (I wrote most of the comments with the original idea of being able to link a Youtube video directly into the comments, and didn't really adjust any of the text comments when the boards wouldn't let me include the video); the ride was probably around 10-15 mph in speed, so in many ways it was like a leisurely Sunday drive out in the country that our grandparents would take.  So it's a ride that offered a long length and individual "cars" (like Double Thunder Raceway) combined with the family-friendly aspects Red Rock Rally (it's also a good ride for those who get queasy on rides that have lots of speed and fast turns); it was a ride that's for everyone (though it's also one of those rides that those under a certain height - 48", if memory serves me without checking Great America's website - have to be accompanied by a "responsible" person over that height).

I looked at it and it's exactly the same ride system as Speedway was except the cars look different. Speedway used to be over next to Roller Coaster and part of its track was where Cliffhanger is now. I think Lagoon wanted to get rid of it to promote paid rides on Double Thunder Raceway. I'd trade Cliffhanger and Double Thunder Raceway for Speedway any day.

The kiddie version, Speedway Jr. is still at Lagoon but the ride system is totally different, the kids can't control the cars at all and the adults can't ride Frown
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(02-25-2017, 03:24 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: I looked at it and it's exactly the same ride system as Speedway was except the cars look different. Speedway used to be over next to Roller Coaster and part of its track was where Cliffhanger is now. I think Lagoon wanted to get rid of it to promote paid rides on Double Thunder Raceway. I'd trade Cliffhanger and Double Thunder Raceway for Speedway any day.

The kiddie version, Speedway Jr. is still at Lagoon but the ride system is totally different, the kids can't control the cars at all and the adults can't ride Frown

Thanks for the info - I wasn't quite sure about that (as I grew up in California, I didn't start going to Lagoon until I was an adult, so am regrettably not as familiar with some of the older rides that have since been taken out as some of the long-timers Chagrin ).
(02-24-2017, 07:12 PM)Gregory Wrote: I hope so, though, admittedly, I think a lot of what bugged me in the first place about their having taken it out was that they put in its place a new ride - the Jumping Dragon - that isn't all that different from an existing ride - the Musik Express;  I mean, if you're going to take something out, at least do us all the courtesy of putting in (no pun intended) something that's at least reasonably different from anything else you're still offering.

Jumping Dragon and Musik Express are similar, but appeal to totally different demographics. Musik Express is your more Intense, Faster, Rough, and Wild ride compared to Jumping Dragon's more Gentle Undulations and Smoothness. Jumping Dragon also has No Minimum Height Requirement because it is aimed at Families, not Teenagers and Adults. It could be argued that Air Race is simply a Modern Version of Flying Aces as well.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(03-04-2017, 08:06 AM)linearinduction Wrote: Jumping Dragon and Musik Express are similar, but appeal to totally different demographics. Musik Express is your more Intense, Faster, Rough, and Wild ride compared to Jumping Dragon's more Gentle Undulations and Smoothness. Jumping Dragon also has No Minimum Height Requirement because it is aimed at Families, not Teenagers and Adults. It could be argued that Air Race is simply a Modern Version of Flying Aces as well.

I'm certainly not trying to dispute that there are some differences between Musik Express and Jumping Dragon, but for me, there just aren't enough differences to make...well, a difference in the grand scheme of things (for me, at least).  My mind just can't stop thinking that there are just too many similarities to be counteracted by the differences.
Similar to Jumping Dragon, I've heard Musik used to also go backward in the 80's. I didn't grow up in Utah either so I missed it.

The seating between both rides is the largest contrast for me. Musik allows the rider to slide to the outside of their seat as centrifugal force increases. It can be fun to ride with someone that is unaware sitting on the outside of the seat will get them crushed by the person on the inside. lol. It is also fun to try to brace yourself so the ride doesn't toss you to the outside of the seat.

Jumping Dragon has very comfortable bucket seats. Each rider is isolated / no sliding around during the ride's operation.

So, Gregory, we could ride Musik express together so I can show you what I mean... I'll even let you sit on the outside... LOL  Laugh