Dark rides being fixed for 2017?
Isn't this interesting....

Just speculating, but I can't think of any reason Lagoon would respond like this if they don't plan on having a spinning tunnel in 2017.

Thoughts?
My understanding is that the spinning tunnel isn't broken, just turned off. Perhaps there will be a spinning tunnel on the new ride or maybe Lagoon is being overly defensive about the idea of petitions.

I think a kiddie dark ride would be in Lagoon's best interest. This looks like a pretty cool ride system that could have a spinning tunnel around it: http://www.zamperla.com/products/aerial-ride/
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
My impression is similar to jetstar2's: it was just turned off because of reasons. Something about riders being too grabby with it when it was spinning or something... but, who knows. I never did get to work that ride much (always got stuck on Flying Carpet), and I never really spent much time north of Speedway when I wore the greys, either.

That's a super interesting comment by the park, though... I know the rumor is two new kiddie rides. They wouldn't... they wouldn't gut the existing dark rides to put in new ones, would they? No, no... I can't even imagine that. Still, sounds like they must be doing something to them. VR upgrade, maybe? Wink :notserious:
It was just turned off. Then the motors were removed. You might remember it moving in their commercial last year. I'm guessing they moved it by hand for the shot.

The point is "just wait for what he have in store for 2017".
(01-26-2017, 02:45 PM)Brăden Wrote: The point is "just wait for what he have in store for 2017".

Right, in the context of the conversation I see that as having two interpretations:

1. "If you like the spinning tunnel in Dracula's castle, just wait and see what we have in store for 2017, you'll like that too".

2. "Don't bother creating a petition about what you'd like us to do, just wait and see what it is."

This being Lagoon, #2 seems more likely to me. If they wanted to hint to people they had something cool planned, why not post it for everybody to read? They're just mentioning it to this one guy who was talking about starting a petition. I think they're telling him they don't want him to do that. Seems petty to me, but it matches the pattern of the type of stuff I've seen from the park's official channels. I'd love to be wrong here.
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
I see where you're coming from. But to me it comes off as "we are fixing things and we're excited to tell you about it, but we can't say anything yet." Wishful thinking, sure, but I think a lot of people will be surprised this year.
This is interesting for sure. Lagoon is so funny about keeping their best marketing "a secret" until opening day. Why not promote what you're doing to build excitement and possibly sell more passes? I'll never understand it.
(01-27-2017, 07:35 AM)gregwibert Wrote: This is interesting for sure. Lagoon is so funny about keeping their best marketing "a secret" until opening day. Why not promote what you're doing to build excitement and possibly sell more passes? I'll never understand it.

Me either.

They need a Marketing person like Cedar Point has. Tony Clark is hilarious! The videos he has done and his responses to people commenting on his tweets are very clever and go along with having fun at an amusement park. Especially about the RMC work being done to Mean Streak right now. Cedar Point hasn't said anything about what they are doing but obviously they are doing something and in the internet age there are pictures and people talking about the ride. Its okay to not say anything that's a parks right but I think the way they have been handling it has been hilarious. Like when some when sent Toy this picture of RMC rails on site of Mean Streak :

His answer just had me laughing so hard. I just think in the age of the internet you almost have to have a crazy marketing person to promote your park. Marketing like this is pretty much free other than the marketing person's salary. I really wish Lagoon would do stuff like this.

They could have had some really good stuff about Cannibal when it was being built. But also on years like this year where its a smaller year and nothing wrong with that I have kids and my oldest loves all the rides at Lagoon I'm excited to see what they add but even on years where its a smaller year they could still have fun with their marketing.

The tweet above isn't the only example I think has been clever. CP produced a video after the Cubs Won where they had made a better with SF Great America to sing Go Cubs Go if the Cubs won.

This is the link to the video but at 2 minutes they are over by Mean Streak and the way Tony pulls the camera away from the site is hilarious.

Its just small things like this that I wish Lagoon would do. Smalls things go along way.

Cedar Points Christmas Video has a good RMC Mean Streak Easter Egg in it as well.

Who wouldn't like to see Lagoon do things like this? Its fun! Cedar Point doesn't have to do this, they are well known but I'm glad they do.

Lagoon did try this with their Best Friends video. I had a friend in their marketing department at that time and he said it was meant to try for a Viral Video but it seems they gave up after one try. I wish they would try again.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
Tony is not a nice person just to let you know.
(01-27-2017, 07:35 AM)gregwibert Wrote: This is interesting for sure. Lagoon is so funny about keeping their best marketing "a secret" until opening day. Why not promote what you're doing to build excitement and possibly sell more passes? I'll never understand it.

The only things I can come up with are:

A: They don't want to sell season passes as they make more money from individual tickets
B: They want to sell season passes and think people won't buy them based on the new attraction
C: The think that if they announce it before hand it won't be 'fresh' when the park is open

All of these are silly. People in the winter are bored, it's the ideal time to announce a new attraction. More people will take notice in the winter because there isn't much else going on.

Somebody needs to fly a drone over the park, if something is going on it should be evident.

Also, if somebody/everybody here actually knows what it is and aren't saying publicly, feel free to PM me and tell me what it is.
  • A distinct name
  • Describes the ride