Lagoon 2017 Photos
(04-16-2017, 09:26 PM)gregwibert Wrote: The 1 million gallon pool was there at one point, right? Followed by the paddle boats. I say a Giant Discovery that swings over the water would utilize more of the space and allow for an added thrill for guests.  Happy

The 1 Million gallon pool was where LAB is now.

Great photo update Will!

Interesting Idea about filling in the lake. Lets think about this for a second:

1. It is a man made pond and it has been reduced in size over the years anyway, I mean most of the south end used to be part of it as well.
2. The clean water it once had was a big selling point of Lagoon and how they differentiated themselves from Saltair. Lagoon advertised a nice clean swim compared to the salty swim ya got with the Great Salt Lake at Saltair. With Saltair being gone almost 60 years now I guess the lake isn't needed anymore, Lagoon won lol! Victory Celebration by filling in the lake!!!

But I don't think it should be filled in. I like Greg's idea of building a Giant Discovery over it. I would love to see a coaster of some kind built over it. I think if they clean up the lake and put in a MACK Powersplash that would be sweet!
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(04-17-2017, 08:19 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: The 1 Million gallon pool was where LAB is now.

Great photo update Will!

Interesting Idea about filling in the lake. Lets think about this for a second:

1. It is a man made pond and it has been reduced in size over the years anyway, I mean most of the south end used to be part of it as well.
2. The clean water it once had was a big selling point of Lagoon and how they differentiated themselves from Saltair. Lagoon advertised a nice clean swim compared to the salty swim ya got with the Great Salt Lake at Saltair. With Saltair being gone almost 60 years now I guess the lake isn't needed anymore, Lagoon won lol! Victory Celebration by filling in the lake!!!

But I don't think it should be filled in. I like Greg's idea of building a Giant Discovery over it. I would love to see a coaster of some kind built over it. I think if they clean up the lake and put in a MACK Powersplash that would be sweet!

I believe that the lake is now included in the stormwater management plan. If that's true, filling it in is a no-go. It would be nice to have something that better utilized the feature though. I always liked the paddle boats.

-Z
I definitely think a giant discovery swinging over lake best option.
I've thought using the lagoon is a good idea, too, although, like some, I've envisioned it being used while still around.  After all, think of the old Shoot-the-Chute ride that was Lagoon's first thrill ride, albeit having an updated version now.  Some others have made very good ride suggestions as well that utilize the water in some way.

I don't know about draining the lagoon, though.  Besides Z's good point about it possibly being a part of the stormwater management plan (I think I do remember hearing about just that at one time, though I can't be 100% sure), I wonder how much it would cost to drain it (and possibly to do whatever additional work would be needed to prevent flooding).  Also,  small part of me does wonder what kind of heat that Lagoon might draw from environmentalists and animal rights groups (think of not only the fish but all the water fowl that like to hang out there; Lagoon already gets enough heat as it is from animal rights groups thanks to that persistent urban legend about the zoo animals allegedly being mistreated).

And at the very least, what's the point of having the place called "Lagoon" if you get rid of the titular lagoon?  Shocked Wink
It seems to me Lagoon has plenty of space. The only reason they would need to make space inside the park boundaries would be to build or expand an area like Lagoon-A-Beach, Pioneer Village or Kiddieland. The lagoon does look kinda gross up close but I don't have to swim in it or anything.

I would prefer a Giant Frisbee/Discovery be placed somewhere else. It's cool to watch everything get small when you are high up but the effect would be lost looking at the water. It's like putting it over an empty parking lot.
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(04-17-2017, 09:33 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: It seems to me Lagoon has plenty of space. The only reason they would need to make space inside the park boundaries would be to build or expand an area like Lagoon-A-Beach, Pioneer Village or Kiddieland. The lagoon does look kinda gross up close but I don't have to swim in it or anything.

I would prefer a Giant Frisbee/Discovery be placed somewhere else. It's cool to watch everything get small when you are high up but the effect would be lost looking at the water. It's like putting it over an empty parking lot.

You can get a idea of swinging over the water would look like here. The link will take you to 5:18 where the part of my video shows swinging over the lagoon.

Great job on the video. I think that would be a great thing to do at the park.

To me, that screamin swing doesn't seem to be of the same scale as the giant frisbee I rode. What I really liked about the giant frisbee was just how much area of the park the full span of the ride covered. One minute I'd be on the east side of the park, and just a few seconds later I'd be on the west side 150ish feet in the air. It was in Japan where there's this weird Alice in Wonderland size effect because everything is so small, so that might have played into the experience.

I'd just rather see objects whizzing past me and dropping away. That was part of what I really enjoyed about the giant frisbee.

I think the best use of the lagoon would be putting some islands in it and making it a piratey jungle cruise type thing. It could be called "The Lagoon".
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
Do they even treat the water?
Nope, just pure Farmington Creek runoff. In the summer when it gets hot, it's also when the flow is at its lowest, so it gets brackish and algae-laden pretty easily. Years back, they used to periodically spray an algaecide onto the lake to keep the blooms down... it definitely helped, but was a pretty labor-intensive, time-consuming, messy process.

Not sure if they still do that or not, but the paddleboat they used to use for it is long gone (used to be moored over near the propane tank/blowdown area for WK Train).

A perfect ride for Lagoon's Lagoon.