Idea: "Who's at the park today" feature?
I've been on LIF on & off for years (took a little hiatus for a couple of years prior to last season), and remember years ago getting to meet up with a few folks from the site during a meet-up. Loved it! Unfortunately, schedule is a bit more bonkers these days and rarely can plan to be there for the once-a-month scheduled meet-up, let alone with time available to chip in towards a pot luck (and if I am there on a day of a pot-luck, chances are it's with young kids & I can't pull myself away to come say hi), but I still would love to occasionally bump into fellow LIF members once in awhile.

Was kinda thinking it might be fun if there were a shoutbox or similar functionality here at the site for folks to list themselves as "at the park" whenever they're there, so that fellow members could possibly group up for a few rides/ad hoc meet-ups whenever there's a few folks around. Anything like that ever been considered before?

At any rate, hopefully will get a chance to bump into a few of y'all down at the park throughout this season!
It's a good idea and I think some people here have been trying to figure out the best way to do that. I use Foursquare a lot. Actually Foursquare is mostly for finding food/entertainment/etc. in a given area and Swarm has branched off of that for checking in places and letting people know if you're nearby when you're free to meet up. For example, I often check in to a ride when I'm waiting in line. If I don't want people to know where I am or don't want to meet up, I don't check-in (or, I think you can block people at times or only make it visible within a certain radius or something). There's also a game aspect to it where you can became "mayor" of a place if you check-in more than other users and you get points for different things. It keeps a running total among your friends every week for mild competition. Makes it kind of fun.

All the rides and most other attractions at the park are listed on Swarm and Foursquare. Lagoon History Project has a list of all of the places you can check-in here:
https://foursquare.com/lagoonhistory

Other options would be a Google Hangout, Slack channel or the chat room thing on tapatalk. Pretty sure we can all agree group texts are out. Haha!
Good idea! The LIF team has been using Slack since last year to quickly communicate and work together on the site, and it has helped us hook up when we are on the park. Opening up part of that to additional interested LIF members shouldn't be too hard either. Swarm looks to be another good option to make this work. I've never used it or Foursquare, but I was just looking the app over, and I think it might be fun to use with other LIF people at Lagoon.

If a shoutbox is really all we need, I'm sure I could look into implementing something like. It really comes down to what you want to communicate with others who may be on the park. Would you like to use an app or the site? I personally would lean more towards an app especially if it allows me to receive notifications.
(03-04-2016, 01:38 AM)Willenator Wrote: Good idea! The LIF team has been using Slack since last year to quickly communicate and work together on the site, and it has helped us hook up when we are on the park. Opening up part of that to additional interested LIF members shouldn't be too hard either. Swarm looks to be another good option to make this work. I've never used it or Foursquare, but I was just looking the app over, and I think it might be fun to use with other LIF people at Lagoon.

If a shoutbox is really all we need, I'm sure I could look into implementing something like. It really comes down to what you want to communicate with others who may be on the park. Would you like to use an app or the site? I personally would lean more towards an app especially if it allows me to receive notifications.

Yeah, interesting question -- I was kicking that around the other day. As a web developer, I'm always like, "Now how would *I* implement a solution to that?" Wink On the one hand, something integrated with the site has the benefit of using the usernames we're all familiar with, but really that's about the only pro I can see for something web-based. I guess you could take some time to build functionality that would do something close, but trying to implement a check-in/status feature, plus some sort of broadcast/notification feature... just seems like something app-based would be better and way less time-consuming, especially for mobile.

I've never used any of the aforementioned apps myself, so I'm not sure how any of them stack up, but maybe tomorrow night/this weekend it'd be fun to peruse them & compare features. Seems to me at a basic level you'd want the ability for folks to check in/check out when they arrive at or leave the park, a page to show other "checked in" users, and a way to send out a broadcast to anybody in the group/on the park that has some real-time mobile notification functionality (e.g. "Anybody want to go ride Cannibal? Meet in 15 minutes!" or "Single rider seeking JetStar buddy", etc.).

Glad to see some other interest in the idea!
If there was a solution where we could have the app as mentioned, with a plug in that also could state on the main webpage that "the following users have checked in at the Park" that remains current, that would be AMAZING.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
For those of you interested, I've created a Swarm account. I'm thinking this app might be the easiest to quickly get in touch with each other. Let me know if you are on the app, and I'll add you to my friends list!
I'm on there! Just search for Braden M. or if you have it connected to facebook, it should bring me up on your list of suggestions. I would recommend looking through the settings and privacy settings to get a better idea of how it works and what is possible.
I'm on Swarm now as well: DragonTamer should track me down, or PM me if you can't find me that way!
ok I've also just added swarm.
I'm not on swarm. I don't want to be found.  Tongue