Saratoga Resort
(06-11-2015, 08:35 PM)Z Wrote: Saltair was sold by The Church in 1906. It was not the Church's fault that it failed. It suffered fires that took out the pavilions, windstorms that blew away the roller coaster, major changes in lake levels that eliminated the major attraction of "water you can't sink in," and never ending battles with brine flies, mosquitos, and lake stink. It is in a bad location, being as far (if not further) from downtown as Lagoon without a major population center on the other side. Additionally, construction of anything in the area requires expensive piers. The flood in 1983 was just the final nail in the coffin.

Just read the Saltair page in Wikipedia for further enlightenment.

-Z
*sigh* It was supposed to be tongue in cheek. I'm quite well aware of Saltair's History. Wink

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(06-12-2015, 12:44 AM)linearinduction Wrote: *sigh* It was supposed to be tongue in cheek. I'm quite well aware of Saltair's History. Wink

Of course you are!

It would have been an amazing place to see. It had massive ballrooms, a velodrome, boardwalks, and of course the amusement park rides.

The Giant Racer looked like quite the coaster... until it blew down.

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/singleit...80/rec/238

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/singleit...6146/rec/3

-Z
(06-12-2015, 03:02 AM)Z Wrote: Of course you are!

It would have been an amazing place to see. It had massive ballrooms, a velodrome, boardwalks, and of course the amusement park rides.

The Giant Racer looked like quite the coaster... until it blew down.

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/singleit...80/rec/238

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm/singleit...6146/rec/3

-Z
It was quite beautiful, like Lagoon was, but Saltair had that Architecture Lagoon Lacked. Smile Also, I hope those who didn't maintain the Giant Racer are burning in hell. Wink

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
(06-12-2015, 01:13 PM)linearinduction Wrote: It was quite beautiful, like Lagoon was, but Saltair had that Architecture Lagoon Lacked. Smile Also, I hope those who didn't maintain the Giant Racer are burning in hell. Wink

It would be Mormon hell, so no flames, just knowing you didn't do all you could Wink

-Z
In a round about way with out the Mormons we wouldn't have lagoon. Be grateful.

The Salt Lake Valley might have not ever been settled with out the Mormons. Jim Bridger didn't even want this land and he settled many places.

It might have been settled with out the Mormons but I am sure it would be a great as it is.
(06-12-2015, 04:30 PM)Coasters Wrote: In a round about way with out the Mormons we wouldn't have lagoon. Be grateful.

The Salt Lake Valley might have not ever been settled with out the Mormons. Jim Bridger didn't even want this land and he settled many places.

It might have been settled with out the Mormons but I am sure it would be a great as it is.
Someone would have eventually settled in this largely god forsaken place....I guess Brother Brigham was a Glutton for Punishment....all those wives and snotty kids!!!!! lol Also, Lake Park was built by the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad, not Mormons. See, TRAINS! lol

That said, I respect the founding brethren, who were EXTREMELY Liberal back in the day, and a lot more fun too. Wink

(06-12-2015, 05:02 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Someone would have eventually settled in this largely god forsaken place....I guess Brother Brigham was a Glutton for Punishment....all those wives and snotty kids!!!!! lol Also, Lake Park was built by the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad, not Mormons. See, TRAINS! lol

That said, I respect the founding brethren, who were EXTREMELY Liberal back in the day, and a lot more fun too. Wink

Someone probably eventually would have but the huge success of the area I don't think would have happened. I know the railroads started Lagoon. The Mormon's did help finish the continental railroad and had a line extended down to SLC to help finish the temple. So Lagoon in a very roundabout way still has the Mormon's to thank.
(06-15-2015, 11:00 AM)Coasters Wrote: Someone probably eventually would have but the huge success of the area I don't think would have happened. I know the railroads started Lagoon. The Mormon's did help finish the continental railroad and had a line extended down to SLC to help finish the temple. So Lagoon in a very roundabout way still has the Mormon's to thank.

These were all separate spurs. There were three separate ROWs for the railways leading from SLC to points northward with the D&RG, UP, and Bamberger lines. Now only the UP line retains rails, though I do remember as a kid when the D&RG was active. The Bamberger line has left some legacy ROW improvements, my favorite of which is the bridge over 500 W in Bountiful just north of Slime Olsen's. 

Of course the Mormon pioneers deserve credit for settling the Salt Lake Valley. Without the efforts of Brother Brigham and others, Utah would be similar to Nevada. The system of programatically settling different areas of the state led to the development of a far more widespread population and greater economic diversity. Unfortunately, the State of Utah doesn't see as much value in promoting community growth all over the state, with the focus on the Utah and Salt Lake Valleys. 

This topic has splintered though...

Saratoga was a key benefit of the policies for settlement in multiple places. Without easy transportation from Utah County to Saltair or Lagoon, the area had to develop its own parks. With the advent of first US-89 and then I-15, these small areas consolidated into larger ones, capable of providing more to their patrons. Lagoon happened to be the one that ate all the others, since it had the better transportation alternative earlier with Bamberger.

-Z
(06-15-2015, 11:58 AM)Z Wrote: These were all separate spurs. There were three separate ROWs for the railways leading from SLC to points northward with the D&RG, UP, and Bamberger lines. Now only the UP line retains rails, though I do remember as a kid when the D&RG was active. The Bamberger line has left some legacy ROW improvements, my favorite of which is the bridge over 500 W in Bountiful just north of Slime Olsen's. 

Of course the Mormon pioneers deserve credit for settling the Salt Lake Valley. Without the efforts of Brother Brigham and others, Utah would be similar to Nevada. The system of programatically settling different areas of the state led to the development of a far more widespread population and greater economic diversity. Unfortunately, the State of Utah doesn't see as much value in promoting community growth all over the state, with the focus on the Utah and Salt Lake Valleys. 

This topic has splintered though...

Saratoga was a key benefit of the policies for settlement in multiple places. Without easy transportation from Utah County to Saltair or Lagoon, the area had to develop its own parks. With the advent of first US-89 and then I-15, these small areas consolidated into larger ones, capable of providing more to their patrons. Lagoon happened to be the one that ate all the others, since it had the better transportation alternative earlier with Bamberger.

-Z

That bridge over 500 W in bountiful is cool but need to be retired under it was never meant for 4 lanes of traffic.
It holds a single lane of traffic. It is the one that connects 200W with 500 W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk