Best Practices for Posting
I decided to create a list of best practices for forum users. We have a lot of people that have been here for years and know how we like people to post, and I want to make sure our newer users have a resource to quickly pick up on ways to keep forum discussion organized. Please read through the following suggestions and implement them into your behavior when using the forum. Thanks! Smile

Avoid double posting

Double posting occurs when someone posts a reply to a topic when he or she was the last one to post in the topic. If you want to add additional comments to a topic where you are the last person to post, it is better to edit your post instead of creating another post.

There is an exception to this. If your reply to a topic is over a week or two old and no one else has added a reply, you may add to the topic by creating an additional post. This is referred to as a "topic bump" and is usually done in an attempt to spur additional conversation.

Reply to multiple posts at once

Lagoon Is Fun has a feature built in where you can flag posts you want to reply to as you are reading a topic. This is useful for commenting to multiple posts in a topic and helps you avoid double posting. Simply look for this icon on each post and click it to flag the post. When you have reached the end of a topic, look at the quick reply box. You will see the following text:

Quote:You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts now or deselect them.

Click the "Quote these posts now" link and quoted versions of those posts will appear in the reply box. From here, you can go through and add your comments to each post. To make sure your replies line up properly, click the "Preview Post" button to see what your comments will look like.

Note: Your selected posts will carry over from one page of comments to the next.

Help maintain topic organization

Forums work well when everyone tries to keep the discussion on topic. However, there are many reasons for conversation to take a turn and focus on something else. When this occurs, sometimes it is better to create a new topic to carry on the new conversation instead of keeping things off topic.

Avoid commenting when angry

Lagoon Is Fun is an open community to all Lagoon enthusiasts, and everyone has different levels of knowledge and interest. Because of this, heated conversations happen from time to time. If you find yourself getting upset at another person's comments, I encourage you to wait a couple of hours to a day before you post your reply. Sometimes it is best to calm down and collect your thoughts before adding a reply.

Also, consider intent. Sometimes we read comments differently than the author intended. Look for indicators that the comments may be written differently than you are reading them. Is there a Smile or a Tongue in the comments? If so, this may indicate the author is trying to be funny, which leads us into next one:

Avoid sarcasm unless you make your intentions known

Sarcasm is difficult to discern in written form. Because of this, I ask that you avoid using sarcasm in your posts unless you clearly indicate that you are using sarcasm. This is why Lagoon Is Fun has the following smilies:
Notserious Sarcasm Adding one of those images can quickly demonstrate to others that you are not being serious.

Be respectful

You won't always agree with everyone, and it is okay to express why you disagree, but please be respectful. We all come from different backgrounds and have different levels of experience concerning many of the topics discussed here. Avoid belittling others when expressing disagreements. Knowledge is great, but it also create the most conflict when an individual uses it against others.
Everyone memorize this list, there WILL be a test that is worth 107% of your total grade! Anyone not achieving 109% will be BANNED from LIF and Lagoon Amusement Park! Notserious
(03-02-2015, 11:22 PM)Willenator Wrote: Reply to multiple posts at once

Oh, hey, I didn't know about that thanks.

(03-03-2015, 06:41 PM)gregwibert Wrote: Everyone memorize this list, there WILL be a test that is worth 107% of your total grade! Anyone not achieving 109% will be BANNED from LIF and Lagoon Amusement Park! Notserious

It's still not clear to me how to use the not serious smiley, and I am serious about that, so I guess I will fail and be banned for life Frown which I don't seriously mean.

Oh wait... Notserious Sarcasm Win oooh... now I see :sneaky:
Rename Roller Coaster to 'Lagoon's Classic Roller Coaster'
  • A distinct name
  • Adjective + Roller Coaster format everybody uses (white roller coaster, wooden roller coaster, etc.)
  • Describes the ride
  • Includes the current name
(03-03-2015, 08:29 PM)jetstar2 Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 11:22 PM)Willenator Wrote: Reply to multiple posts at once

Oh, hey, I didn't know about that thanks.

(03-03-2015, 06:41 PM)gregwibert Wrote: Everyone memorize this list, there WILL be a test that is worth 107% of your total grade! Anyone not achieving 109% will be BANNED from LIF and Lagoon Amusement Park! Notserious

It's still not clear to me how to use the not serious smiley, and I am serious about that, so I guess I will fail and be banned for life Frown which I don't seriously mean.

Oh wait... Notserious Sarcasm Win oooh... now I see :sneaky:

Jetstar2, you pass! Congratulations Lagoonatic! Happy
I have no idea what sarcasm is.

Poor Kyle. If you only knew.
(03-02-2015, 11:22 PM)Willenator Wrote: I decided to create a list of best practices for forum users. We have a lot of people that have been here for years and know how we like people to post, and I want to make sure our newer users have a resource to quickly pick up on ways to keep forum discussion organized. Please read through the following suggestions and implement them into your behavior when using the forum. Thanks! Smile

Avoid double posting

Double posting occurs when someone posts a reply to a topic when he or she was the last one to post in the topic. If you want to add additional comments to a topic where you are the last person to post, it is better to edit your post instead of creating another post.

There is an exception to this. If your reply to a topic is over a week or two old and no one else has added a reply, you may add to the topic by creating an additional post. This is referred to as a "topic bump" and is usually done in an attempt to spur additional conversation.

Reply to multiple posts at once

Lagoon Is Fun has a feature built in where you can flag posts you want to reply to as you are reading a topic. This is useful for commenting to multiple posts in a topic and helps you avoid double posting. Simply look for this icon on each post and click it to flag the post. When you have reached the end of a topic, look at the quick reply box. You will see the following text:

Quote:You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts now or deselect them.

Click the "Quote these posts now" link and quoted versions of those posts will appear in the reply box. From here, you can go through and add your comments to each post. To make sure your replies line up properly, click the "Preview Post" button to see what your comments will look like.

Note: Your selected posts will carry over from one page of comments to the next.

Help maintain topic organization

Forums work well when everyone tries to keep the discussion on topic. However, there are many reasons for conversation to take a turn and focus on something else. When this occurs, sometimes it is better to create a new topic to carry on the new conversation instead of keeping things off topic.

Avoid commenting when angry

Lagoon Is Fun is an open community to all Lagoon enthusiasts, and everyone has different levels of knowledge and interest. Because of this, heated conversations happen from time to time. If you find yourself getting upset at another person's comments, I encourage you to wait a couple of hours to a day before you post your reply. Sometimes it is best to calm down and collect your thoughts before adding a reply.

Also, consider intent. Sometimes we read comments differently than the author intended. Look for indicators that the comments may be written differently than you are reading them. Is there a Smile or a Tongue in the comments? If so, this may indicate the author is trying to be funny, which leads us into next one:

Avoid sarcasm unless you make your intentions known

Sarcasm is difficult to discern in written form. Because of this, I ask that you avoid using sarcasm in your posts unless you clearly indicate that you are using sarcasm. This is why Lagoon Is Fun has the following smilies:
Notserious Sarcasm Adding one of those images can quickly demonstrate to others that you are not being serious.

Be respectful

You won't always agree with everyone, and it is okay to express why you disagree, but please be respectful. We all come from different backgrounds and have different levels of experience concerning many of the topics discussed here. Avoid belittling others when expressing disagreements. Knowledge is great, but it also create the most conflict when an individual uses it against others.

This is good to know. So do people follow these rules? The few threads I have read there seems to be some pretty rude comments.

I found out about this forum when searching for information on Cannibal.
Some banter between some of us can be misconstrued as being rude or disrespectful, such as between myself and Will, Braden, Slick, Kyle, Jordan, etc. because we are friends outside of the forum and like joshing each other. That Greg however, I just can't stand him! lol J/K Greg knows how much I love him! Wink
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(03-10-2015, 03:13 PM)ThustheLord Wrote: This is good to know. So do people follow these rules? The few threads I have read there seems to be some pretty rude comments.

I found out about this forum when searching for information on Cannibal.

The rules are generally followed.
Generally.
(03-10-2015, 03:26 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Some banter between some of us can be misconstrued as being rude or disrespectful, such as between myself and Will, Braden, Slick, Kyle, Jordan, etc. because we are friends outside of the forum and like joshing each other. That Greg however, I just can't stand him! lol J/K Greg knows how much I love him! Wink

ok so stay clear of greg