Utah State Fair
Thumbs Up 
I know we have some Utah State Fair fans on this forum, so I thought I'd share this article:

Quote:Propped up by taxpayer subsidies and plagued by diminishing community participation, the Utah State Fairpark is facing an uncertain future, and with it the destiny of the state's largest single event.

More than 300,000 people attended last year's Utah State Fair, but it wasn't enough to reverse a more than five-year trend of declining numbers.

On Wednesday, faced with some tough questions about what do with the fair, the Fairpark property and how to make it all work, lawmakers will hear the latest in a master plan study that is tapping community input and feedback from other impacted groups.

The Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment Interim Committee is slated to meet at 9 a.m., when a progress report will be given on the study that is due to be completed by month's end.

One thing is clear: Early survey results show that a majority of community members want the fair to stay put, and they want the tradition to continue.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86560...tml?pg=all
(06-18-2014, 10:56 AM)Velcro Wrote: I know we have some Utah State Fair fans on this forum, so I thought I'd share this article:

Quote:Propped up by taxpayer subsidies and plagued by diminishing community participation, the Utah State Fairpark is facing an uncertain future, and with it the destiny of the state's largest single event.

More than 300,000 people attended last year's Utah State Fair, but it wasn't enough to reverse a more than five-year trend of declining numbers.

On Wednesday, faced with some tough questions about what do with the fair, the Fairpark property and how to make it all work, lawmakers will hear the latest in a master plan study that is tapping community input and feedback from other impacted groups.

The Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environment Interim Committee is slated to meet at 9 a.m., when a progress report will be given on the study that is due to be completed by month's end.

One thing is clear: Early survey results show that a majority of community members want the fair to stay put, and they want the tradition to continue.

Competing with Comic Con is gonna be hard.
(08-27-2014, 07:29 PM)Coasters Wrote:
(06-18-2014, 10:56 AM)Velcro Wrote: I know we have some Utah State Fair fans on this forum, so I thought I'd share this article:

Competing with Comic Con is gonna be hard.
Actually, it wasn't THAT bad Last Year and it was only really earlier in the Day and after 8 pm there was really a difference. Wink
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(08-27-2014, 08:16 PM)linearinduction Wrote:
(08-27-2014, 07:29 PM)Coasters Wrote: Competing with Comic Con is gonna be hard.
Actually, it wasn't THAT bad Last Year and it was only really earlier in the Day and after 8 pm there was really a difference. Wink

Comic Con does pull good numbers though. I am not against the state fair, I think they are an important thing to have around. I'm just saying I will be at Comic Con that weekend instead.
(08-28-2014, 10:36 AM)Coasters Wrote:
(08-27-2014, 08:16 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Actually, it wasn't THAT bad Last Year and it was only really earlier in the Day and after 8 pm there was really a difference. Wink

Comic Con does pull good numbers though. I am not against the state fair, I think they are an important thing to have around. I'm just saying I will be at Comic Con that weekend instead.
The problem with the Fair has been the Cheapies in the State Legislature trying to Starve the Fair while bringing home pork! The same way they are Starving Education. The last major renovation to the Fair Grounds was in the 90s! There have been fewer and fewer big name acts playing the Grandstand, and Buildings are Falling apart. If Real Salt Lake Builds their 17 Million Dollar Stadium/Concert Venue for their Minor League Team, that will be a big boost for the fair park.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
(09-03-2014, 01:05 AM)linearinduction Wrote:
(08-28-2014, 10:36 AM)Coasters Wrote: Comic Con does pull good numbers though. I am not against the state fair, I think they are an important thing to have around. I'm just saying I will be at Comic Con that weekend instead.
The problem with the Fair has been the Cheapies in the State Legislature trying to Starve the Fair while bringing home pork! The same way they are Starving Education. The last major renovation to the Fair Grounds was in the 90s! There have been fewer and fewer big name acts playing the Grandstand, and Buildings are Falling apart. If Real Salt Lake Builds their 17 Million Dollar Stadium/Concert Venue for their Minor League Team, that will be a big boost for the fair park.

I agree. REAL's stadium is a joke.
(09-03-2014, 01:53 AM)Coasters Wrote:
(09-03-2014, 01:05 AM)linearinduction Wrote: The problem with the Fair has been the Cheapies in the State Legislature trying to Starve the Fair while bringing home pork! The same way they are Starving Education. The last major renovation to the Fair Grounds was in the 90s! There have been fewer and fewer big name acts playing the Grandstand, and Buildings are Falling apart. If Real Salt Lake Builds their 17 Million Dollar Stadium/Concert Venue for their Minor League Team, that will be a big boost for the fair park.

I agree. REAL's stadium is a joke.
There's nothing inherently wrong with Rio Tinto Stadium, but the Proposed 8,000 Seat Stadium/Concert Venue would be for RSL's USL PRO Team. Shouldn't a heterosexual man know more about sports than I? lol
Sids a wannabe hetereosexual male
(09-03-2014, 02:37 AM)linearinduction Wrote:
(09-03-2014, 01:53 AM)Coasters Wrote: I agree. REAL's stadium is a joke.
There's nothing inherently wrong with Rio Tinto Stadium, but the Proposed 8,000 Seat Stadium/Concert Venue would be for RSL's USL PRO Team. Shouldn't a heterosexual man know more about sports than I? lol

Its a joke meaning it has no parking and was put in a horrible location. I don't care about soccer. Nascar is the only sport I watch.
(09-03-2014, 11:39 AM)Coasters Wrote:
(09-03-2014, 02:37 AM)linearinduction Wrote: There's nothing inherently wrong with Rio Tinto Stadium, but the Proposed 8,000 Seat Stadium/Concert Venue would be for RSL's USL PRO Team. Shouldn't a heterosexual man know more about sports than I? lol

Its a joke meaning it has no parking and was put in a horrible location. I don't care about soccer. Nascar is the only sport I watch.
If you are talking about the Parking Situation and Location of Rio Tinto Stadium, I could not agree more with your statement! I believe they would have been better off building the Stadium elsewhere, including the Downtown and State Fair Park Proposals, not the Urban Stadium. Also, NASCAR is not a Sport. The only athletisism is displayed by the pit crew. Heck, even the Redneck Olympics are more of a sport. Hubcap Frisbee anyone? lol