Roll-O-Plane
Just imagine the arm bent in half with both ends hanging down, that's what it looked like.
Deseret News Article from Wednesday, July 03, 2002:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/92339...agoon.html
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Emily Wrote:I just found an actual picture of the taco.

You didn't like my taco picture!?
I heard the ride is designed to do that, if the joint fails it folds gently rather than allowing the metal to snap. They sold it to Thomas i believe it was for there fairs like the state fair.
You are correct. They were designed to to fail like that, which is some good insight by the designers of the ride to know where the potential fail point would be and plan for it.
That's interesting. I didn't know that.
(10-19-2013, 08:03 PM)dajaq2 Wrote: I heard the ride is designed to do that, if the joint fails it folds gently rather than allowing the metal to snap. They sold it to Thomas i believe it was for there fairs like the state fair.
There was nothing to "Sell" of Roll-O-Plane and Lagoon stored it for a while before scrapping it. The Mighty Thomas Carnival doesn't own a Roll-O-Plane, as they are mostly owned by much smaller operations. As a note, Lakeside Park in Denver reinstalled their Roll-O-Plane late in their Season.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
All I can say is "WOW" Thanks Everyone! It was a favorite of mine to Op (I always prefer rides that I have full control over instead of just a key and timer switch...Power Trip? nahhhh) but in the back of my mind, I knew she was old and could always picture this happening. Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine what she would look like and I REALLY had hoped it was during the off-season.
(10-25-2013, 08:33 AM)lagoonie67 Wrote: All I can say is "WOW" Thanks Everyone! It was a favorite of mine to Op (I always prefer rides that I have full control over instead of just a key and timer switch...Power Trip? nahhhh) but in the back of my mind, I knew she was old and could always picture this happening. Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine what she would look like and I REALLY had hoped it was during the off-season.
47 Years of Operation is pretty damn good for a Ride, especially when it wasn't really designed for Long Term Operation. There have been several that were much newer that had a similar failure over the years. The Rock-O-Plane and the Loop-O-Plane seem to be the only 2 that have stood the test of time. Wink