Theme Park Studio
Thumbs Up 
Another roller coaster game on the horizon, and this one looks promising. I just saw the following video posted by Theme Park Review, and I was impressed. Check it out:

As noted in the video, you can receive updates about the game by liking the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ThemeParkStudio

Here is the info from the Facebook page describing the game:

Quote:Theme Park Studio is a suite of tools that allow players to design, build, and experience stunning amusement parks. Players can build coasters, create mini games, build worlds, customize terrains, and more.

When finished, parks can be published to our server for the world to enjoy.

Theme Park Studio merges all the flexibility of an advanced coaster design tool, with a full graphics' engine, rich with powerful features and technologies. 'Oasis' is Pantera Entertainment's custom graphics' engine used in video games and medical software, for the serious games industry. We exhibited our technology at the Game Developers Conference and the Austin Game Conference. Many of its features have been integrated into Theme Park Studio, providing unprecedented control over the theme park design process.

Theme Park Studio features include:

Custom coaster creation. Players can bend, pull, and stretch coasters into any design they wish. Prefabricated templates are provided as helpers, if desired

Mesh importing: Build your own environmental objects and import them for maximum customization. You can also publish your objects on our server for a royalty share.

Particle Effects: Full integration of the 'Oasis' particle effects system allows players to create everything from waterfalls, weather effects, explosions, and much more. Particles can have triggers for setting up shows like coasters jumping through rings of fire and splashing through water.

Scripting: Build your own mini games.

Networked: When finished, you can publish your game to our server, allowing the world to experience your custom theme park.

Terrain Engine: Import your own height maps and textures to create stunning landscapes.

Water: Control water parameters like speed, level, color, and ripple size.

Animation: Integrated animation engine allows players to setup animated characters like people, animals, etc..

Vegetation: 'Oasis' features an advanced vegetation engine. Our proprietary technology allows players to build everything from grass to elaborate oaks. Trees are procedurally generated and can be controlled by custom wind and turbulance settings. This technology has been integrated into Theme Park Studio

If you would like to be kept up to date on our progress, please like us on this facebook page.

So, what do you guys think? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about this upcoming game.
Looks awesome. I like what I read.
I just listened to a podcast from The Season Pass Podcast called tspp #230- Theme Park Studio w/ Steve Fielding 4/12/13 that talked about the creation of Theme Park Studio with links to everything about them.
One thing that I found interesting was that they discussed that you will be able to create flat rides and later after release you will be able to create dark rides. They are doing a
campaign right now that will end in 9 days. If you donate you will be able to get the basic version of the game for $20, and of course more advanced versions of the game the more you donate.
It is worth checking out, and they stated that it will be released sometime this summer, and should be the next level in park and ride design.
A man would rather have a good scare over good advice.

On the note of Theme Park Studio, it's going to be difficult to approach the kind of gameplay quality that was offered by Cris Sawyer in Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. From what I've seen from TPS, they're going to miss their focus.

IMHO, what this area of game design needs (and has been lacking since the earlier RCT franchises) is real-life accuracy. Get real-life amusement manufacturers to use their products' images in the game. Throw in a ton of customization features for queue lines, midway paving, stations, etc. I was thinking a cross between No Limits: Virtual Rides (ditched) and No Limits: Roller Coaster Simulator. It needs realism, which it woefully lacks - like most other ride sims that flopped.
They're $17,000 short with 9 days to go. I'm not sure it will be funded by kick....
(05-10-2013, 08:29 PM)ThatWyomingDude Wrote: On the note of Theme Park Studio, it's going to be difficult to approach the kind of gameplay quality that was offered by Cris Sawyer in Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. From what I've seen from TPS, they're going to miss their focus.

IMHO, what this area of game design needs (and has been lacking since the earlier RCT franchises) is real-life accuracy. Get real-life amusement manufacturers to use their products' images in the game. Throw in a ton of customization features for queue lines, midway paving, stations, etc. I was thinking a cross between No Limits: Virtual Rides (ditched) and No Limits: Roller Coaster Simulator. It needs realism, which it woefully lacks - like most other ride sims that flopped.

Listen to the podcast, Steve Fielding actually talks about some of this and who they have worked with. Wink
A man would rather have a good scare over good advice.

(05-10-2013, 08:29 PM)ThatWyomingDude Wrote: IMHO, what this area of game design needs (and has been lacking since the earlier RCT franchises) is real-life accuracy. Get real-life amusement manufacturers to use their products' images in the game. Throw in a ton of customization features for queue lines, midway paving, stations, etc. I was thinking a cross between No Limits: Virtual Rides (ditched) and No Limits: Roller Coaster Simulator. It needs realism, which it woefully lacks - like most other ride sims that flopped.

You do realize that TPS is pretty much that? Give away one or two things but this is pretty much a way to build your own amusement park, with custom features for almost anything. This is a step up from both RCT and No Limits, because it is more custom than RCT and a lot easier to design with than No Limits. And one thing no other game system has, is you can create your own flat ride. That should be enough for you. If you want to get nit-picky with every little thing, they also have a way to make your custom design from another design system and embed it into the game.
The Dark Ride feature appeals to me. I can't wait to design a few...
(05-10-2013, 09:54 PM)RCF Wrote: You do realize that TPS is pretty much that? Give away one or two things but this is pretty much a way to build your own amusement park, with [b]custom features for almost anything/b]. This is a step up from both RCT and No Limits, because it is more custom than RCT and a lot easier to design with than No Limits. And one thing no other game system has, is you can create your own flat ride. That should be enough for you. If you want to get nit-picky with every little thing, they also have a way to make your custom design from another design system and embed it into the game.

Not really "pretty much that". From what I can gather (which has been pretty extensive) TPS isn't going to have anything that another program does better. That's not to say they don't have these features - Hence what I said "they're going to miss their focus". They crowd sourced a lot of their modeling, which has visibly reduced the up-front visual quality of the content. As for the ability to add in user-created content from another design system, this is no surprise (and it doesn't really work for or against TPS) seeing how much of what they representing in their promos looks like it was done in google sketchup. Ole Lange has announced animated .3ds importation in NL2.0 as well as the ability of having multiple rollercoasters in one simulation. He's also been toying with the addition of flatrides as a in-game feature to NL2.0.

In short, there is nothing that TPS brings to the table. If anything they miss their mark.
(05-10-2013, 10:40 PM)ThatWyomingDude Wrote:
(05-10-2013, 09:54 PM)RCF Wrote: You do realize that TPS is pretty much that? Give away one or two things but this is pretty much a way to build your own amusement park, with [b]custom features for almost anything/b]. This is a step up from both RCT and No Limits, because it is more custom than RCT and a lot easier to design with than No Limits. And one thing no other game system has, is you can create your own flat ride. That should be enough for you. If you want to get nit-picky with every little thing, they also have a way to make your custom design from another design system and embed it into the game.

Not really "pretty much that". From what I can gather (which has been pretty extensive) TPS isn't going to have anything that another program does better. That's not to say they don't have these features - Hence what I said "they're going to miss their focus". They crowd sourced a lot of their modeling, which has visibly reduced the up-front visual quality of the content. As for the ability to add in user-created content from another design system, this is no surprise (and it doesn't really work for or against TPS) seeing how much of what they representing in their promos looks like it was done in google sketchup. Ole Lange has announced animated .3ds importation in NL2.0 as well as the ability of having multiple rollercoasters in one simulation. He's also been toying with the addition of flatrides as a in-game feature to NL2.0.

In short, there is nothing that TPS brings to the table. If anything they miss their mark.
If you have done your research, TPS lets you create your own park, when the new NL2.0 only lets you make roller coasters and apparently flat rides now. Plus, TPS looks much easier to navigate around than NL2.0. Visuals are only visuals. TPS brings more features than what NL2.0 has, but NL2.0 will do their features much better. I see TPS not even competing with NL2.0 in the first place when TPS has a set time on when it releases. I have no clue when NL2.0 will even come out yet.