Pioneer Village Train
Bringing up the Picnic Basket helps a lot. That makes more sense now. Smile Thanks skwid.
I know exactly where the old PVRR Right of Way was. Both of the Steel Truss Bridges located behind the park were used on the PVRR. The longest of the bridges, the "through truss" or "pratt style," was located after the Station and the standard truss bridge was located north of Log Flume.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Anyone have pictures of the trains they had in Pioneer Village long ago? I was telling my kids about it yesterday.

From what I remember, there was an avalanche of sorts that dumped a bunch of rocks onto the tracks just down from the station. They left it there for a bit and then decided to get not rebuild the track. Seemed stupid to me at the time but when I go there now, it looks like the stream that is going through there is really close to that station. Was it creeping up too close to the tracks?
I tried to find the thread where we discussed this before, but it looks like it's no longer available. From what I remember the removal of the trains had something to do with right-of-ways (rights-of-way?) and Lagoon-A-Beach. Hopefully Sid will fill us in - or if somebody else knows...

As for pictures, I don't have any of the larger train and only a couple of the miniature train.
(04-17-2012, 10:41 AM)next2heaven Wrote: Anyone have pictures of the trains they had in Pioneer Village long ago? I was telling my kids about it yesterday.

From what I remember, there was an avalanche of sorts that dumped a bunch of rocks onto the tracks just down from the station. They left it there for a bit and then decided to get not rebuild the track. Seemed stupid to me at the time but when I go there now, it looks like the stream that is going through there is really close to that station. Was it creeping up too close to the tracks?
There are many reasons why the Pioneer Village Railroad ceased operation, but none had anything to do with Farmington Creek, an Avalanche, or Rocks.

After the Construction of Lagoon-A-Beach, which was Designed around the PVRR, Lagoon didn't rebuild the Section of Track under the Slides for one reason or another. Two of those reasons were the many derailments on the PVRR by Merriweather, and maintenance costs associated with them and the Planned Rehab of the The Green Train that did not happen. A couple of years Later, Lagoon announced plans to combine the Wild Kingdom Train and Pioneer Village Railroad into one Ride, which also never happened.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(04-17-2012, 10:41 AM)next2heaven Wrote: Anyone have pictures of the trains they had in Pioneer Village long ago? I was telling my kids about it yesterday.

The only train that circled the entire Village was Merriweather. Here are a few pics of the train as it looks now:

[Image: normal_DSC00749.JPG]

[Image: normal_IMG_0092.JPG]

And here is the #999 miniature railroad engine that used to run around the north end of Pioneer Village:

[Image: normal_100_1586.jpg]

By the way, welcome to the forum. I encourage you to introduce yourself to us in the Meet & Greet discussion thread in the general discussion area of the forum. Smile
Which direction did the P.V.R.R. travel? Did it go east across the creek or west in front of the Dern Livery Stable? Or both?
It started behind the train station and went east.
A man would rather have a good scare over good advice.
[Image: mba-badge-purple.jpg]

Thanks, skwid!
There are remnants of the station / track on the south side of Dern / behind the train station. I've also seen pieces of track (not connected) on the east side and behind the stage coach exhibit barn.