My Disappointing Day At Seven Peaks Salt Lake (Formally Raging Waters)
Who used to own Raging Waters before it was sold to Seven Peaks? Why was it sold also?
(06-29-2011, 08:32 AM)Slick Wrote: Who used to own Raging Waters before it was sold to Seven Peaks? Why was it sold also?
Raging Waters was Owned by the City of Salt Lake and Managed by Morey's, as in Morey's Piers in New Jersey (Their Water Park is also Named Raging Waters). Since Then, it is my Understanding that Raging Waters has gone through several different owners. At one point years ago, the Huish's were looking at Buying Raging Waters, but decided against it due to the Cost of Bringing the Water Park up to any sort of Standards. Wink

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(06-26-2011, 02:46 AM)Deathbyillusion Wrote: ...with the short summer season....

Nahh, Cowabunga's slides are just the little kind, and they have no wave pool. Now the only wave pools in Utah belong to Seven Peaks. Hmm...

At least Cherry Hill has added a lazy river 2-4 years ago or so, now. Heck, I remember when Raging Waters added theirs, too.

"Short summer season"? Summer here is 3 months long just like it is everywhere else in the northern hemisphere (June 20-21 through September 21-22).

Naww, I like that they've closed on Sundays. If they want (or any other business wants) to have that day off every week for some reason, like resting from a day of labors (for religious reason or otherwise) then that's their preogative (and even if religion is their reason, then they're not imposing the religion itself on other people just by doing that). In fact, I wish this site's namesake would do that, too.

(06-30-2011, 12:07 AM)linearinduction Wrote:
(06-29-2011, 08:32 AM)Slick Wrote: Who used to own Raging Waters before it was sold to Seven Peaks? Why was it sold also?
Raging Waters was owned by the city of Salt Lake and managed by Morey's, as in Morey's Piers in New Jersey (their water park is also named Raging Waters). Since then, it is my understanding that Raging Waters has gone through several different owners. At one point years ago, the Huishes were looking at buying Raging Waters, but decided against it due to the cost of bringing the water park up to any sort of standards. Wink

Hmm, interesting. Salt Lake? That's odd! I had always thought that a company called Raging Waters owned Raging Waters.

Hey, what about the Raging Waters park (or parks?) in California?

Hey, who are these Huishes you just mentioned? Do you mean like... the old owners of that old defunct movie theater in Payson, Huish Theater?
Maxx, you don't need to make a new post each time you want to respond to another post in a topic. While I do not have a double-post rule, I do ask that forum members refrain from creating multiple posts within a topic at one time.

Here is a better way of doing it. Next to the reply button on each post is this button [Image: postbit_multiquote.gif]. That is the multi-quote button. As you read through a discussion, you can click that button on each post you want to reply to. Once you are ready to add your response, the quick post box at the bottom of the page will give you the option of quoting the posts you selected. This makes it easier to respond to multiple posts within one post.

If you feel like adding something to a discussion where you were the last poster, go ahead and just edit the post and add in your new comments rather than create a new post.

Thanks! That will help keep things more organized. Smile
(08-07-2011, 05:29 AM)MaxxFordham Wrote:
(06-26-2011, 02:46 AM)Deathbyillusion Wrote: ...with the short summer season....
Nahh, Cowabunga's slides are just the little kind, and they have no wave pool. Now the only wave pools in Utah belong to Seven Peaks. Hmm...
62 Feet Tall is Hardly Little and there is a Reason we have no Wave Pool.....we are a Neighborhood Water Park.

(08-07-2011, 05:29 AM)MaxxFordham Wrote: Naww, I like that they've closed on Sundays. If they want (or any other business wants) to have that day off every week for some reason, like resting from a day of labors (for religious reason or otherwise) then that's their preogative (and even if religion is their reason, then they're not imposing the religion itself on other people just by doing that). In fact, I wish this site's namesake would do that, too.
By being closed on Sundays, Seven Peaks FORCES their Religious Beliefs on their Patrons, many of whom are of the Working Class and only have Sunday's Off. Alienating your Community is a BAD Business Decision. At Cowabunga Bay, we are PROUD to be Open Sundays to serve the Needs of our Community, not to mention FREE Parking, FREE Inner-Tubes, and FREE Life Vests!

(06-30-2011, 12:07 AM)linearinduction Wrote:
Raging Waters was owned by the city of Salt Lake and managed by Morey's, as in Morey's Piers in New Jersey (their water park is also named Raging Waters). Since then, it is my understanding that Raging Waters has gone through several different owners. At one point years ago, the Huishes were looking at buying Raging Waters, but decided against it due to the cost of bringing the water park up to any sort of standards. Wink

Hmm, interesting. Salt Lake? That's odd! I had always thought that a company called Raging Waters owned Raging Waters.

Hey, what about the Raging Waters park (or parks?) in California?

Hey, who are these Huishes you just mentioned? Do you mean like... the old owners of that old defunct movie theater in Payson, Huish Theater?
The 3 Original Raging Waters Water Parks (New Jersey, Utah, & California) were developed by the Same Duo. Today, the New Jersey Park is Owned my Morey's and the California Park by Merlin's. As far as I know, The Huish's have only been involved in the Amusement Industry with their First Family Fun Center built in Springville more than 50 Years ago. The Huish's are also responsible for the Huish Family Fun Centers (Now Boomers), Family Fun Center & Bullwinkle's Restaurants (Wilsonville, Tukwilla, & Redmond), Cowabunga Bay, and J&J Amusements.
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
(08-07-2011, 06:25 PM)Velcro Wrote: Next to the reply button on each post is this button: [Image: postbit_multiquote.gif]. That is the multi-quote button.

Oh, okay, that's a nice little tool there! As you can see, I hadn't investigated it before, but should have. Maybe a good thing to add to that button would be the word "Multiquote," just like the other buttons are labeled with a word next to their icon.

(08-07-2011, 10:57 PM)linearinduction Wrote: 62 feet tall is hardly little and there is a reason we have no wave pool: we are a neighborhood water park.

Yes, there is a reason, but that goes without saying, since everything (purpose or accident) happens for a reason ("I hit that car by accident because I slipped on the ice patch.") I guess you were talking about a more specific reason, or more of just a purpose for not having a wave pool.

Okay, Sid, so the water park where you work is what you call a "neighborhood water park." So what? A neighborhood could have a wave pool. Just because a place is a "neighborhood" type of place doesn't mean they have to be limited on what they have there. (Plus, Cowabunga looks like even as what you call a "neighborhood water park," they have plenty of room to expand with a wave pool if they wanted to and could afford to later.) What does that--supposedly being a "neighborhood water park"--have to do with having a wave pool or not?

I realize that 62 feet tall is still up there, but... when I said "smaller" slides, I meant comparitively (in comparison to the big long tube slides at Seven Peaks and Wet 'n' Wild and other parks of that bigger size).

Being closed on Sundays isn't forcing any religion onto anyone. If they closed on Sundays and then were to tell people that they must go to church and not go to any businesses except in an emergency on the Sabbath, then it would be different. But just because a business closes on Sundays doesn't mean you have to be any more religious than you already are. Besides, they could be closed on Sundays just because they decided that was a good day off for them. Do you think banks are "forcing their religion on people" by being closed on Sundays? What about post offices? Of course they have religious motives and want everybody to keep the Sabbath day holy, don't they? And how about schools? Would you rather have to go to or have gone to school on Sunday because they were afraid that if they closed on Sundays, they were "forcing their religion on you"? Can you go inside a Chick-fil-A on a Sunday? Nope. But is Truett Cathy "forcing his religion on you," though? Mmm... I don't think so, bud. Then neither is Seven Peaks. Have you ever wanted to complain to the banks or the post office or Chick-fil-A or any other business for just wanting Sundays as one or more of their company-wide days off? If so, then that would be foolish.

Just so we have things straight, the openness of an amusement park of any type (water or otherwise) isn't a "need" of the community. A want for some, yes, but not a need. But anyway, I'm not judging your park for being open on Sundays. You guys can do what you want.

Yes, I agree, it was nice of Raging Waters to give us free parking (I think I remember when Seven Peaks had that, too, way back in the day, with the original owners--but maybe even the original owners started the paid parking; it's been like that for a long time in Provo). I also agree that it was nice for those people who didn't care about using a tube (not "inner-tube;" that's what you put in a bike tire or some old kinds of vehicle tires) in the wave pool. But that being taken away doesn't affect me much, since I always rent a tube anyway, because I always want one for the wave pool. But one improvement that I like from Seven Peaks (besides giving all employees Sundays off) is that even though some of you think they nickel-and-dime us, well, that VIP pass really seems to be a steal compared to the highly expensive season pass that Raging Waters had (that I don't even know if included a tube). I do remember the great deal of the free pop for few years at Raging Waters, but even they couldn't afford to keep that going for very long.

Oh, I didn't know the Huish's--oops, I meant HuishES (no apostrophe there, since plurals don't have them)--had three Raging Waters parks! I had only heard of the one here in Utah and then the CA one. Whow, one in NJ, too. Hmm! So anyway, are they the same HuishES who own (or owned) the Huish Theater in Payson (or do you not know)?

(08-08-2011, 06:45 PM)MaxxFordham Wrote:
(08-07-2011, 10:57 PM)linearinduction Wrote: 62 feet tall is hardly little and there is a reason we have no wave pool: we are a neighborhood water park.

Yes, there is a reason, but that goes without saying, since everything (purpose or accident) happens for a reason ("I hit that car by accident because I slipped on the ice patch.") I guess you were talking about a more specific reason, or more of just a purpose for not having a wave pool.

Okay, Sid, so the water park where you work is what you call a "neighborhood water park." So what? A neighborhood could have a wave pool. Just because a place is a "neighborhood" type of place doesn't mean they have to be limited on what they have there. (Plus, Cowabunga looks like even as what you call a "neighborhood water park," they have plenty of room to expand with a wave pool if they wanted to and could afford to later.) What does that--supposedly being a "neighborhood water park"--have to do with having a wave pool or not?
I said what I did just to see how many words it would take you to ask, "Why does being a Neighborhood Water Park rule out the addition of a Wave Pool?"

(08-08-2011, 06:45 PM)MaxxFordham Wrote: I realize that 62 feet tall is still up there, but... when I said "smaller" slides, I meant comparitively (in comparison to the big long tube slides at Seven Peaks and Wet 'n' Wild and other parks of that bigger size).
I'll be quick with this one. The entire "Neighborhood Water Park" Concept revolves around being Compact.

(08-08-2011, 06:45 PM)MaxxFordham Wrote: Being closed on Sundays isn't forcing any religion onto anyone. If they closed on Sundays and then were to tell people that they must go to church and not go to any businesses except in an emergency on the Sabbath, then it would be different. But just because a business closes on Sundays doesn't mean you have to be any more religious than you already are. Besides, they could be closed on Sundays just because they decided that was a good day off for them. Do you think banks are "forcing their religion on people" by being closed on Sundays? What about post offices? Of course they have religious motives and want everybody to keep the Sabbath day holy, don't they? And how about schools? Would you rather have to go to or have gone to school on Sunday because they were afraid that if they closed on Sundays, they were "forcing their religion on you"? Can you go inside a Chick-fil-A on a Sunday? Nope. But is Truett Cathy "forcing his religion on you," though? Mmm... I don't think so, bud. Then neither is Seven Peaks. Have you ever wanted to complain to the banks or the post office or Chick-fil-A or any other business for just wanting Sundays as one or more of their company-wide days off? If so, then that would be foolish.
Wow, all that to explain that many different businesses and services are closed on Sundays and it may not be for Religious Reasons? However, we ALL know that Chik-Fil-A and Seven Peaks have a Company Policy to be Closed on Sundays for Religious Reasons.

(08-08-2011, 06:45 PM)MaxxFordham Wrote: Just so we have things straight, the openness of an amusement park of any type (water or otherwise) isn't a "need" of the community. A want for some, yes, but not a need. But anyway, I'm not judging your park for being open on Sundays. You guys can do what you want.
I guess Lagoon should stop donating money to Utah Schools because that isn't a "need" of the Community. One look at the Seven Peaks Salt Lake's Facebook Page is proof enough that there are Several Needs in the Community that Seven Peaks is not Meeting. Most of that Community is Latino and "Working Class" Families who only have Sundays available for Family Outings. Cowabunga Bay was a Sponsor of Cinco De Mayo to inform members of our Community that there is a Water Park that understands their Needs.

(08-08-2011, 06:45 PM)MaxxFordham Wrote: I also agree that it was nice for those people who didn't care about using a tube (not "inner-tube;" that's what you put in a bike tire or some old kinds of vehicle tires) in the wave pool.
I guess all of the Many Manufacturers of Inner-Tubes for the Water Park Industry must be Incorrect. Rolleyes Life Guards carry "Tubes." Wink

(08-08-2011, 06:45 PM)MaxxFordham Wrote: One improvement that I like from Seven Peaks (besides giving all employees Sundays off) is that even though some of you think they nickel-and-dime us, well, that VIP pass really seems to be a steal compared to the highly expensive season pass that Raging Waters had (that I don't even know if included a tube).
Apparently haven't read the Fine Print and $165.00 Price Tag of the "VIP Pass" for the Seven Peaks Water Parks. If you happen to be talking about the "Pass of All Passes" with all of it's Confusing Rules/Perks and Fine Print, bring it on! Smile

(08-08-2011, 06:45 PM)MaxxFordham Wrote: Oh, I didn't know the Huish's--oops, I meant HuishES (no apostrophe there, since plurals don't have them)--had three Raging Waters parks!
Since Multiple Members of the Huish Family are Owners of Huish Entertainment Group (HEG), that would make the company the Huishs'. I never stated that the Huish Family (Huishs') and Huish Entertainment Group (HEG) ever owned a Raging Waters Water Park. You also no longer are permitted to address Grammar and Spelling on this Forum, as Imjustthuper is the OFFICAL LIF Spelling and Grammar Czar. Wink

(08-08-2011, 06:45 PM)MaxxFordham Wrote: I had only heard of the one here in Utah and then the CA one. Whow, one in NJ, too. Hmm! So anyway, are they the same HuishES who own (or owned) the Huish Theater in Payson (or do you not know)?
The Huish Entertainment Group Company History never mentions the ownership of a Theater or Payson. Wink

Look, Linear. Who cares if something I'm asking has more words in it than you think you would use? Sheesh!

Okay, so they want to be compact. So I stand by my statement that those are smaller slides. But why is it so important for them that they think a "neighborhood water park" should be compact (wave-pool-free) in order to... oh, say... I guess "qualify"... as a "neighborhood" type of place?

Yes, ALL THAT is needed to explain my point about the fact that businesses' being closed on Sundays is not imposing any religion onto you! Ya got a problem with that? Who cares what their reason is that they're closed on Sundays? If religion is their reason, then that's for them; not for you. They can have that reason if they want, and not have it impose on other people. Therefore, they're not imposing their religions onto you. Why do banks and shippers close on Sundays?

You're distorting the logic behind what I was saying. Yes, money in Utah schools is a need of the community, so yes, if Lagoon does that, then that's good. But if a place like that were to close on Sundays, but then still donated money to schools, they would still be helping to fill that need. Just being open for people to have fun on a given day isn't filling a need, but just a want. But again, I'm not looking down on your water park for being open on Sundays if you want to be. I'm just clarifying a need vs. just a want.

Manufacturers of the tubes we sit on or stand through at water parks don't call them "inner-tubes" or "inner tubes." Water parks don't call them "inner tubes." And even regardless of that, they're still not inner tubes because they cannot be used inside anyone's tires! They're just tubes--or floatation tubes, to be technical. (But who's gonna say "floatation tubes"? Nobody I've heard of wants to. That's why they're just called tubes. But they not inner tubes.) Even if the lifeguards use a different kind of tube than we use, that doesn't mean the kind we use are called "inner tubes." They're not those.

My VIP pass was $60. It's one of the types of Pass of all Passes. It's only like the cost of 2 full-day pass visits including a single tube. I think that's quite a good deal. But I've seen the prices from the list that you're talking about, and I am confused by that list as well. But all I know is that when I get a VIP pass for one water park, it's just $60 for season admission and a single tube and those other things, and that's a pretty good deal to me!

(08-09-2011, 01:23 AM)linearinduction Wrote: Since multiple members of the Huish family are owners of Huish Entertainment Group (HEG), that would make the company the Huishs'.

Nope, still not correct. That's not how plurals work. No plurals have apostrophes in them unless possession is also in the picture as part of the same phrase. For example, just by themselves, they are the Huishes. We only use the apostrophe with that plural if we're mentioning that possessiveness right then. For example, you could be talking about something to do with the Huishes' businesses.
(There's more on that subject, of course, but that's not a discussion for here.)

Okay, thanks for filling me in on that these HuishES aren't the same ones as the Huishes from the old movie theater in Payson. Oh, but by the way: Have you heard of that theater before I mentioned it? Have you ever been in it or even just seen it? (I have, but I was just wondering if you have, too.)
(08-08-2011, 06:45 PM)MaxxFordham Wrote: Being closed on Sundays isn't forcing any religion onto anyone. If they closed on Sundays and then were to tell people that they must go to church and not go to any businesses except in an emergency on the Sabbath, then it would be different. But just because a business closes on Sundays doesn't mean you have to be any more religious than you already are. Besides, they could be closed on Sundays just because they decided that was a good day off for them. Do you think banks are "forcing their religion on people" by being closed on Sundays? What about post offices? Of course they have religious motives and want everybody to keep the Sabbath day holy, don't they? And how about schools? Would you rather have to go to or have gone to school on Sunday because they were afraid that if they closed on Sundays, they were "forcing their religion on you"? Can you go inside a Chick-fil-A on a Sunday? Nope. But is Truett Cathy "forcing his religion on you," though? Mmm... I don't think so, bud. Then neither is Seven Peaks. Have you ever wanted to complain to the banks or the post office or Chick-fil-A or any other business for just wanting Sundays as one or more of their company-wide days off? If so, then that would be foolish.

Just so we have things straight, the openness of an amusement park of any type (water or otherwise) isn't a "need" of the community. A want for some, yes, but not a need. But anyway, I'm not judging your park for being open on Sundays. You guys can do what you want.

I must agree. Usually Maxx seems to be crazy but on this point he is right on the money. Just because they close on sunday doesn't mean they are forcing their religion on you! Good Grief

(08-10-2011, 12:32 AM)MaxxFordham Wrote: Look, Linear. Who cares if something I'm asking has more words in it than you think you would use? Sheesh!

Okay, so they want to be compact. So I stand by my statement that those are smaller slides. But why is it so important for them that they think a "neighborhood water park" should be compact (wave-pool-free) in order to... oh, say... I guess "qualify"... as a "neighborhood" type of place?
It was more of a Joke! Sheesh! Do you understand Sarcasm? Besides, we could only build a "Family Wave Pool" that is under 150,000 Gallons, which many would complain about, not to mention Wave Pools are the Biggest Cause of Water Park Drownings.

(08-10-2011, 12:32 AM)MaxxFordham Wrote: Yes, ALL THAT is needed to explain my point about the fact that businesses' being closed on Sundays is not imposing any religion onto you! Ya got a problem with that? Who cares what their reason is that they're closed on Sundays? If religion is their reason, then that's for them; not for you. They can have that reason if they want, and not have it impose on other people. Therefore, they're not imposing their religions onto you. Why do banks and shippers close on Sundays?

You're distorting the logic behind what I was saying. Yes, money in Utah schools is a need of the community, so yes, if Lagoon does that, then that's good. But if a place like that were to close on Sundays, but then still donated money to schools, they would still be helping to fill that need. Just being open for people to have fun on a given day isn't filling a need, but just a want. But again, I'm not looking down on your water park for being open on Sundays if you want to be. I'm just clarifying a need vs. just a want.
See Below

(08-10-2011, 12:32 AM)MaxxFordham Wrote: Manufacturers of the tubes we sit on or stand through at water parks don't call them "inner-tubes" or "inner tubes." Water parks don't call them "inner tubes." And even regardless of that, they're still not inner tubes because they cannot be used inside anyone's tires! They're just tubes--or floatation tubes, to be technical. (But who's gonna say "floatation tubes"? Nobody I've heard of wants to. That's why they're just called tubes. But they not inner tubes.) Even if the lifeguards use a different kind of tube than we use, that doesn't mean the kind we use are called "inner tubes." They're not those.
Sorry Max, when the Manufacturer calls them "Inner-Tubes," they are "Inner-Tubes." I've moved around enough boxes of the Original Cowabunga "Inner-Tubes" to know. Wink

(08-10-2011, 12:32 AM)MaxxFordham Wrote: My VIP pass was $60. It's one of the types of Pass of all Passes. It's only like the cost of 2 full-day pass visits including a single tube. I think that's quite a good deal. But I've seen the prices from the list that you're talking about, and I am confused by that list as well. But all I know is that when I get a VIP pass for one water park, it's just $60 for season admission and a single tube and those other things, and that's a pretty good deal to me!
Charging Tax to "Process" your Pass is asinine! lol We have had so many people come to Cowabunga and buy our Season Passes at $99.99 + Tax because of the Terrible Experience and Customer Service they have received at either Seven Peaks Water Parks with their supposed "Pass of All Passes." There is a Page Long Reply about all of the Hoops you have to jump through to actually supposedly "save" money if you are a Family on the Seven Peaks Salt Lake Facebook Page, which is really a Guest Complaint Page with a few Positive Employee Comments. I really liked the part where they said that, "even if you are not paying for parking or tubes, you still are," considering Cowabunga Bay doesn't own the Parking Lot and Seven Peaks charges you twice for Tubes since they are paid for from the park and tube profits. Cowabunga's Food is also Cheaper and Better Quality than Seven Peaks so your actually Saving More at Cowabunga Bay with a $100 Season Pass than even the most expensive Seven Peaks pass. Smile

(08-10-2011, 12:32 AM)MaxxFordham Wrote:
(08-09-2011, 01:23 AM)linearinduction Wrote: Since multiple members of the Huish family are owners of Huish Entertainment Group (HEG), that would make the company the Huishs'.

Nope, still not correct. That's not how plurals work. No plurals have apostrophes in them unless possession is also in the picture as part of the same phrase. For example, just by themselves, they are the Huishes. We only use the apostrophe with that plural if we're mentioning that possessiveness right then. For example, you could be talking about something to do with the Huishes' businesses.
(There's more on that subject, of course, but that's not a discussion for here.)

Okay, thanks for filling me in on that these HuishES aren't the same ones as the Huishes from the old movie theater in Payson. Oh, but by the way: Have you heard of that theater before I mentioned it? Have you ever been in it or even just seen it? (I have, but I was just wondering if you have, too.)
I told you above that you are no longer permitted to correct Grammar and Punctuation and Spelling because Iamthumper is the Official LIF Spelling and Grammar Czar! Any additional correcting and comments will result in additional warnings.

(08-10-2011, 01:29 PM)INCoasters Wrote:

I must agree. Usually Maxx seems to be crazy but on this point he is right on the money. Just because they close on sunday doesn't mean they are forcing their religion on you! Good Grief
Do You People EVER think about anyone but yourselves?

The Post Office and Banks are Closed on Sunday because the Operating Costs would outweigh the revenue (as if that's not happening every day for the USPS). Chick-Fil-A and Seven Peaks ARE Closed for Religious Reasons. If you are Seriously unaware that those are the Cases, you need a Serious Reality Check!

Back to my Original Point, which neither of you have addressed because of your selfishness, is that there are OTHER People in the World that do not share your Religious Beliefs! Sure it can be described by you Religious Fanatics as a "want" because you have never taken the time to consider what the "needs" of those who are different than you may be. Everyone in our Community (Not Religious Sect) deserves to have the opportunity to go and spend Quality time with their Family at a place like Lagoon or Cowabunga Bay. You Guys of all people should be able to understand that! As a Business that CARES about ALL members of our Communities, we see that "NEED." I hear a great deal of those who visit Cowabunga Bay and thank us for being open on Sunday because that is the only day of the week they have to do something as a Family. That is a First Hand Experience that neither of you would have the opportunity to have! I mean these people just Maintain your Neighborhoods, Roads, Cars, Homes, etc. and prepare your meals and clean your plates at restaurants all week for little to nothing to sustain a life barely above poverty! Talk about loving thy neighbor, except when they don't have the same religious choice as you!