The Utah Fun Dome (49th Street Galleria) Discussion Thread
I seem to remember batting cages.
Bowling, yes, but Batting Cages I don't remember. Perhaps are you thinking about the Utah Sports Park in Sandy?

The Bungee Tower at The Fun Dome was the only Bungee Jumping Tower in Utah. The "Super Swing" and "Sling Shot" were the only in Utah as well. I have tried for years to find out the Manufacturer of those rides but have come up empty.

Actually, as Shane Huish told me, the 49th Street Galleria was bought by a "Millionaire" who pretty much gave it to his daughter to manage and do whatever with. So it was pretty much just a toy for her to play with. It was a dud financially after things got "stale," so she decided to turn it into the "Pavilion," an Events Center and Buffet for Weddings, Family Reunions, Company Parties, etc. After that failed, the bright idea was to turn it into the "Utah Pet Center," an all inclusive Pet Care Center with everything, anything, and a HUGE Staff that eventually killed it.

The Fun Dome was one place Shane and Huish Entertainment Group (HEG), his Family's Company actually looked at as a potential site of Cowabunga Bay. He said that most parts of the building were pretty trashed. All of the Kitchen Equipment in Cowabunga Bay actually came from the Fun Dome, at least what was Salvageable, which wasn't a whole lot. They want 13 Million for the Fun Dome, which again, is in terrible shape.

I for one would love to see HEG purchase it, fix it up right, and for Shane to build a Family Fun Center and Bullwinkle's Restaurant, with Kick Ass Go Karts, Mini Golf, and some kick ass rides! Smile I'm sure Shane would then have a place for Greezed Lightnin' and I'm sure some other nice rides, like an S&S Screamin' Swing, Double Shot, etc. Happy One can always dream. Wink
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Oh, I remember the batting cages. That was old school, back in the really good days. A trip to the Galleria was almost as exciting as going to Lagoon. The batting cages were back where the go karts were. I remember they had yellow balls and there were always millions of them stuck up in the netting. Nothing beats the old minature golf course though. I used to love the course that had the mine shaft with cart. I used to get always get freaked out by it. The castle hole in the back also scared the beans out of me. I do believe it had creepy sound effects.
Yeah, I admit my memory of the batting cages and other stuff is a bit hazy, but it does seem like there were go-karts nearby.

Mastersprinterx2: Your memory reminds me of how I used to be afraid of a door in the Fun House because I thought the witch from Terroride would come out, crawl through the ball pit and get me. Haha.
The building is still there, it is vancant so if someone really wanted to buy it they could.
I would love to go see what is still inside, find out what was lost in the pet center and the school.

Also Liberty Land in Lehi is closed, anyone know why?
(02-11-2010, 09:45 AM)LagoonGoon Wrote: The building is still there, it is vancant so if someone really wanted to buy it they could.
I would love to go see what is still inside, find out what was lost in the pet center and the school.

Also Liberty Land in Lehi is closed, anyone know why?
They want 13 Million for the Property, which is much more than it's worth. From what I understood about the condition of the building, you'd basically have to gut the entire thing and start from scratch.Unsure

From what I understand about Libertyland, it's never been able to make a profit, and the financial problems from the park destroyed the owner's Marriage.Tongue
Would it be possible to arange a tour of the building?
(02-12-2010, 07:45 PM)LagoonGoon Wrote: Would it be possible to arange a tour of the building?
I highly doubt it considering you'd have to arrange it through a Realtor which would involve a Financial Background Check. Tongue
(02-05-2010, 03:47 PM)Brad-n Wrote: Ah yes. I remember the days of the 49th Street Galleria. Actually, that was the only time I ever went there, and I was about 6 at the time. I just remember tons of people and a motion simulator and thinking I could easily get lost.
What year was the 49th Street Galleria opened, and was it a private owner that owned and ran the place??? What happened to most of the games also, I've always wondered that I'm a huge Spy Hunter fan and I knwo back in the day they had quite a few of them
(02-13-2010, 08:52 AM)slick1 Wrote: What year was the 49th Street Galleria opened, and was it a private owner that owned and ran the place??? What happened to most of the games also, I've always wondered that I'm a huge Spy Hunter fan and I knwo back in the day they had quite a few of them

Not sure of the year it opened. My guess would be early '80s, but that's really just a guess. I remember playing Spy Hunter on our Commodore 64 as well as seeing it at arcades everywhere. Man, where have all those arcades gone?