The Bat Discussion
(04-01-2018, 09:42 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: The coaster is a solid ride and never really had issues. I used to operate it. If it had a better more defined first drop it would be a pretty decent layout. 

Now I understand the Vekoma hate but these new gen Vekomas look amazing! I really want to try one of them out, I never thought I'd say that about a Vekoma lol.

Bat does have a big issue. The track tolerances were not good, which results in unpredictable lateral shifts in the train. That's why every time I ride it I get hit in the jaw by the restraints. I won't ride it anymore. It's how I know that if I had an abusive spouse I wouldn't stay with her either, since I wouldn't tolerate abuse from a roller coaster either.

-Z
(04-03-2018, 11:58 PM)Z Wrote: Bat does have a big issue. The track tolerances were not good, which results in unpredictable lateral shifts in the train. That's why every time I ride it I get hit in the jaw by the restraints. I won't ride it anymore. It's how I know that if I had an abusive spouse I wouldn't stay with her either, since I wouldn't tolerate abuse from a roller coaster either.

-Z

HaHaHa!!!  Laugh Laugh Laugh

Me Too!  Happy
(04-03-2018, 11:58 PM)Z Wrote: Bat does have a big issue. The track tolerances were not good, which results in unpredictable lateral shifts in the train. That's why every time I ride it I get hit in the jaw by the restraints. I won't ride it anymore. It's how I know that if I had an abusive spouse I wouldn't stay with her either, since I wouldn't tolerate abuse from a roller coaster either.

-Z

That is true but the bad track tolerances is a Vekoma standard so I usually ignore that when it comes to Vekomas.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West

-Z
(04-04-2018, 08:52 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: That is true but the bad track tolerances is a Vekoma standard so I usually ignore that when it comes to Vekomas.
The problem with the Vekoma MK-707s is not a "Track Tolerance" issue at all. The rigid bogies are the problem here. By the time the mid to late 90s rolled around, Vekoma had vastly improved their engineering and fabrication of track. Vekoma also improved their bogie and vehicle engineering and design over the past decade or so.

As has been evidenced by late 90s Vekoma Coasters, with the addition of new generation trains with spring loaded bogies, the coasters are smooth. However, when Morey's put new generation trains on N'oreaster, the smoothness lasted a short period, because of the early 90s engineered track. When you can make a Vekoma Boomerang enjoyable, ie Sidewinder, Flying Cobras, and the new ones in China, that's an achievement!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
I was told that the track tolerance on Bat is ±2" on the same string of rail. Doesn't sound very good to me. A train that can adjust to the poor tolerances should make it work though, since there is a lot of mass with the train. I won't be riding it anytime soon though, since the overhead restraints coupled with the quick lateral shifts means I get popped in the jaw every time I ride unless I contort my body in a manner that prevents me from moving, which means I don't enjoy the ride.

Not for me.

-Z
(04-12-2018, 06:46 PM)Z Wrote: I was told that the track tolerance on Bat is ±2" on the same string of rail. Doesn't sound very good to me. A train that can adjust to the poor tolerances should make it work though, since there is a lot of mass with the train. I won't be riding it anytime soon though, since the overhead restraints coupled with the quick lateral shifts means I get popped in the jaw every time I ride unless I contort my body in a manner that prevents me from moving, which means I don't enjoy the ride.

Not for me.

-Z

I definitely agree with z the ride is just painful and unenjoyable.
(04-12-2018, 06:46 PM)Z Wrote: I was told that the track tolerance on Bat is ±2" on the same string of rail. Doesn't sound very good to me. A train that can adjust to the poor tolerances should make it work though, since there is a lot of mass with the train. I won't be riding it anytime soon though, since the overhead restraints coupled with the quick lateral shifts means I get popped in the jaw every time I ride unless I contort my body in a manner that prevents me from moving, which means I don't enjoy the ride.

Not for me.

-Z
The +- 2" sounds accurate for the bogies, not the rails. I mean I've seen spinning guide and safety wheels spinning in the station countless times. If the track tolerances were that large, wouldn't we see uneven paint wear on the sides of the rails? Also, wouldn't that mean eddy-current brakes couldn't be used, as their tolerances are tighter than mechanical spring loaded brakes?

I keep hoping to see new spring loaded bogies on Bat from ART Engineering. Still keeping my fingers crossed for them.

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
But hey at least it is not a SLC
Wants 2 go 2 Busch Gardens     
Tampa and Virginia
Or any West Coast Theme park  Frown               

(04-14-2018, 08:11 PM)Spider003 Wrote: But hey at least it is not a SLC
It's a Jr. Hang and Bang.....still bad enough.