Cliffhanger
I went on Cliffhanger 4 times on 7/2, since my son really liked it. It is probably already well know, but I thought I'd post an update to this thread since it has been quiet for a few years. It was not a very busy day at the park, probably one of the least crowded days I have been there. However, the first 3 rides (Two at about 2:00 PM and one close to closing time) ran a very simple, fairly slow program. It seems to be a slow rotation with 2 brief locks upside down, then 3 or 4 slow passes with the seats upright to hit the fountain. That was quite a bummer compared to how it was when it opened, where it seemed like there were more and faster rotations with locks and unlocks. Based on what I have read in this thread about possible issues with the AC motors and motor controllers, it makes sense to limit the program in use to improve reliability and reduce wear, while still providing cold water in the shoes.

The 4th ride was a little different. It was the last run before close, and 4 or 5 other kids jumped on being loud about not wanting to get wet. We had 4-5 very slow passes through the fountains when they were spraying their hardest. We got completely soaked, compared to the earlier rides of the day, so I assume the ride ops were having some fun. It was definitely enjoyable, even if not in the rapidly flipping sense.

If anyone knows whether there are times that the more active programs are used, I'd definitely be interested to hear about it!
(07-05-2018, 03:12 PM)docsav Wrote: I went on Cliffhanger 4 times on 7/2, since my son really liked it. It is probably already well know, but I thought I'd post an update to this thread since it has been quiet for a few years. It was not a very busy day at the park, probably one of the least crowded days I have been there. However, the first 3 rides (Two at about 2:00 PM and one close to closing time) ran a very simple, fairly slow program. It seems to be a slow rotation with 2 brief locks upside down, then 3 or 4 slow passes with the seats upright to hit the fountain. That was quite a bummer compared to how it was when it opened, where it seemed like there were more and faster rotations with locks and unlocks. Based on what I have read in this thread about possible issues with the AC motors and motor controllers, it makes sense to limit the program in use to improve reliability and reduce wear, while still providing cold water in the shoes.

The 4th ride was a little different. It was the last run before close, and 4 or 5 other kids jumped on being loud about not wanting to get wet. We had 4-5 very slow passes through the fountains when they were spraying their hardest. We got completely soaked, compared to the earlier rides of the day, so I assume the ride ops were having some fun. It was definitely enjoyable, even if not in the rapidly flipping sense.

If anyone knows whether there are times that the more active programs are used, I'd definitely be interested to hear about it!
There were "6" Programs. 3 of them, then 3 reversed. Cliffhanger is operating better now, in the past couple of years, than in many previous years.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Coaster Credits: 96
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(07-05-2018, 10:27 PM)linearinduction Wrote: There were "6" Programs. 3 of them, then 3 reversed. Cliffhanger is operating better now, in the past couple of years, than in many previous years.

Program 2 never worked since the opening of the ride though so it had 5 programs lol. Same on Samurai except it was Program 5 that never worked.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(07-06-2018, 09:54 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Program 2 never worked since the opening of the ride though so it had 5 programs lol. Same on Samurai except it was Program 5 that never worked.
I had forgotten the "never use 2" rule on Clifford! lol

WARNING: The Following Post May Contain Sarcasm, Snark, Cynicism, Banter, Derision, Mockery, Irony, Ridicule, Satire, and/or Superciliousness.
Surprised I didn't notice this before either, but when we went again on 7/7, I noticed they aren't loading the front row either. They weren't the previous Monday either, but I assumed that was the way they load it for lower capacity when the ride is a walk on. It was busy enough to load both rows. If it keeps it running, then I guess its all good. I probably wouldn't have cared, but as I mentioned earlier, my 11 year old son has decided that the Cliffhanger is his favorite ride, so we ride it a few times each trip. He was definitely interested to hear some of the background on the ride I learned from LIF.

Side note - On one of our rides Saturday, I was the 3rd big and tall person in line, and got a black seat. Those have been uncomfortable in the past, but with a few more years and pounds on me, it was a whole new way of being breathless on a ride! The ride worker had to come around and do the jumping push down maneuver to get a few extra clicks out of it. No orange dots will mean a no-go for me, next time.
(07-09-2018, 10:07 AM)docsav Wrote: Surprised I didn't notice this before either, but when we went again on 7/7, I noticed they aren't loading the front row either. They weren't the previous Monday either, but I assumed that was the way they load it for lower capacity when the ride is a walk on. It was busy enough to load both rows. If it keeps it running, then I guess its all good. I probably wouldn't have cared, but as I mentioned earlier, my 11 year old son has decided that the Cliffhanger is his favorite ride, so we ride it a few times each trip. He was definitely interested to hear some of the background on the ride I learned from LIF.

Side note - On one of our rides Saturday, I was the 3rd big and tall person in line, and got a black seat. Those have been uncomfortable in the past, but with a few more years and pounds on me, it was a whole new way of being breathless on a ride! The ride worker had to come around and do the jumping push down maneuver to get a few extra clicks out of it. No orange dots will mean a no-go for me, next time.
They haven't been loading gondola #1 for several weeks. The brake pads were squeeling several weeks back, around the same time.