Spook Alley Ideas?
Brad-n Offline
Lagoonatic

Spider Spook Alley Ideas?
My sister convinced me to be in charge of the spook alley at her kids' elementary school this month. I'm feeling a bit pressured because somehow the PTA got the idea that I was a professional and they have been hyping it quite a bit (trying to bring in money for the school of course).

Anyway, I have never done anything like this for anyone besides family and friends and I'm wondering if anybody has some ideas or places to get ideas for some random scenes or optical illusions. Cheap is good. (My budget is only $45!) It has to fit on their small stage (about 44' x 21'). They have some sixth grade volunteers to help me run it. Since it's mostly for small kids, I'm avoiding excessive blood and gore. I do have some things in mind, but I'm short on time and resources. Any ideas will be considered. Thanks!
10-15-2010 02:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
linearinduction Offline
LIF Park Relations Rep

RE: Spook Alley Ideas?
I have a Chauvet F-1700 Fog Machine with a 15,000 CFM Output I could bring up and run for you for a bit. Smile I also have Blue Floodlights and 2 Black Light Strips I could bring as well.

There's also those Wet Pasta in a Bag "Brains" and Grapes for "Eye Balls" and stuff like that. Happy

Coaster Credits: 68
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Maverick, Cedar Point
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
10-15-2010 06:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Invisible Ink Offline
Lagoonatic

(10-15-2010 02:00 PM)Brad-n Wrote:  My sister convinced me to be in charge of the spook alley at her kids' elementary school this month. I'm feeling a bit pressured because somehow the PTA got the idea that I was a professional and they have been hyping it quite a bit (trying to bring in money for the school of course).

Anyway, I have never done anything like this for anyone besides family and friends and I'm wondering if anybody has some ideas or places to get ideas for some random scenes or optical illusions. Cheap is good. (My budget is only $45!) It has to fit on their small stage (about 44' x 21'). They have some sixth grade volunteers to help me run it. Since it's mostly for small kids, I'm avoiding excessive blood and gore. I do have some things in mind, but I'm short on time and resources. Any ideas will be considered. Thanks!

It seems that everyone has a black costume. You could make a few walls, (like a maze) putting them all around, then put trash bags over them. Take tons and tons of strobe lights and make them go all over. Then let the 6th graders get in the costumes and go all over the maze scaring people. A few props or animatronics couldn't hurt. Last year my sister went to a charter school. When I went in their spook alley, they did a very good job complete with blood and gore at every turn. It was great compared to what my school did- they took an auditorium and had people with make up moan on the stage and then you go out.

(10-15-2010 06:44 PM)linearinduction Wrote:  I have a Chauvet F-1700 Fog Machine with a 15,000 CFM Output I could bring up and run for you for a bit. Smile I also have Blue Floodlights and 2 Black Light Strips I could bring as well.

There's also those Wet Pasta in a Bag "Brains" and Grapes for "Eye Balls" and stuff like that. Happy
That is the kind of thing that makes us hate our schools. I went in a spook alley tonight (a professional one,) so it's all I can talk about right now.
10-15-2010 07:39 PM
ThatWyomingDude Offline
Lagoonatic

Foldable lunch tables make great walls. If you are going to make it dark, block the door jams, so that no light whatsoever makes it in. Sound fx might be something to look into also. That's all I have to add.

10-15-2010 09:20 PM
Invisible Ink Offline
Lagoonatic

Try some Phycho music. It adds to the anticipation of someone jumping out at you.
10-16-2010 09:16 AM
skwid Offline
LIF Haunt Expert

Have you asked the sixth graders what their advice is? Who better to tell you what the younger kids in the school would like than them. Wink Personally the zombie thing is all the rage, so dress the kids up like zombies and create a zombie survival camp on the stage with a survival guide trying to get them out.

A man would rather have a good scare over good advice.
[Image: mba-badge-purple.jpg]
10-16-2010 11:57 AM
Invisible Ink Offline
Lagoonatic

(10-16-2010 11:57 AM)skwid Wrote:  Have you asked the sixth graders what their advice is? Who better to tell you what the younger kids in the school would like than them. Wink Personally the zombie thing is all the rage, so dress the kids up like zombies and create a zombie survival camp on the stage with a survival guide trying to get them out.

I am a sixth grader. Wink So I should know. Kindergarten girls are not going to go in it whatsoever. So why not make it fun? Even if it was not very scary, you could still put walls and good scenery as apposed to blankets over chairs. A strobe light hall way would bring up anticipation for something to jump out at you at the end of it. You could have a strobe light hall way. The person at the end would be completely hidden until the scarees would come within two feet of it. They used this strategy at Fun House of Fear. Another fun thing to do that would be fun and scary at the same time, would be to make a "maze out of cardboard" that you would climb though. it would zig zag and lift off the ground, and in pitch black, it would be hard to get through. have people with leaf blowers behind the scenes with the tip of it in a small hole, (remember it is pitch black,) and turn it on. You could also have a hall of pictures (framed) and in one of them the picture can open and someone can pop out and scream. The Hall of Screams is also a good idea but I can always tell who the real person is. If you have a big open space you don't know what to do with. Put up lots of poles and put dried corn stalks, (from the local farmer) on the poles. Then use dry ice to fog up the area, and have lots of real and fake lifesize monsters. The real ones will act like they are just statues until you come up to them. If it is on a stage, (at most Elementary Schools that is where it will be,) put up a trash bag and cardboard wall on one side of the curtains, so they are forced to walk in between them, have a gentle fan go on the black curtains, and have people grab through the curtains, (none of them can actually be seen except for the imprint on the curtains,) and have them swipe at the people or even more scary grab them really fast, it is really great. More dry ice fog is a good idea too. I will come up with more ideas later.
10-16-2010 06:46 PM
skwid Offline
LIF Haunt Expert

^ You did read that he only had a $45 dollar budget and little time right?

A man would rather have a good scare over good advice.
[Image: mba-badge-purple.jpg]
10-16-2010 10:28 PM
Invisible Ink Offline
Lagoonatic

(10-16-2010 10:28 PM)skwid Wrote:  ^ You did read that he only had a $45 dollar budget and little time right?

Small strobe lights are not very expensive. How hard is it to get posterboard or anything else around the school and put trash bags over them. Curtains are already on the stage, and "monsters" could be scarecrows out of old clothes or stuff from the flea market. Cheap plastic Scream Masks are not very expensive either.
Oh, and when I say Dry Ice Fog, I mean a plastic cup or mug and put dry ice and hot water in it.
10-17-2010 01:11 PM
Invisible Ink Offline
Lagoonatic

Here are some more things you could do. If you have a tarp on the floor, you can superglue a half dollar to the floor. Have nothing else in the hallway or room. Make sure it is light enough to see it. Anyone will bend down to try to get it. And have somone sneak in and scare them while they are trying to pull it. You can take a foam Jack o lantern and put a big red button as the nose, and attach it to a $7 truck horn inside the jack o lantern- yet another fun way to use temptation to scare them. This would be a good thing right at the exit of the spook alley. Another fun one is to cut "curtains" out of trash bags and put them up in a fashion where you have to choose which way to go. There is only one right way and the other ones will hold creeps or motion scencers and a truck horn, or something like that. Once you do find the right way, it is fun to do it again. have a rectangle shaped hallway and have two curtains on each side. Here is another fun thing. You can make trash bag curtains you have to go through to get to the next room. Label it "The Monster in the Closet Room". They'll go through and there will be nothing. They will be surprised when as soon as the go out of the room that is where the monster truly is. In the room put tons of spooky scenery but no monster. They will be disappointing. This gives it away but put a sign that says "we are still building the monster." Or "The Actor is sick today. So this tissue paper will be the monster instead." These do give it away but little kids are really stupid. I would prepare myself for something to happen but 3rd graders would think "Oh well. Hopefully there is something in the next roo- aaaaaaah!!!!" I will try to come up with even more later.
10-17-2010 02:25 PM